cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use bigger LCD display for smaller display application?

BParh.1
Senior III

So I bought STM32F769 Disco board which come with LCD 800 x 480 size. But then the project decide to use smaller LCD size say 480 x 272.

Can use the same display for this? So in away, I dont mind to see the application graphics shown by portion of the display since this is prototyping only, This way can save some bucks 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
Osto
Senior

You have 2 ways. Either you scale to fit into 800x480 or you use only the required area. So the rest of the screen is always black.

Romain DIELEMAN
ST Employee

Hi,

Like Osto said you could decide to do your project on only on the top left portion of the display and set a black background everywhere else. This way when you will move to the real hardware you will be able to import your UI project using the "Import GUI" option.

You could also potentially change the resolution of your display to 480*272, but this will be quite annoying to be honest (mostly because it is a DSI LCD display). To do so you will need to modify the LTDC settings and TouchGFX Generator settings in STM32CubeMX. You will also need to write a new LCD driver (or find one) as the one used in the application template for the STM32F769-DK is based on the 800*480 resolution (file otm8009a.h). You will also have to edit the TouchGFXHAL.cpp file to set your new resolution.

/Romain

BParh.1
Senior III

>  to do your project on only on the top left portion of the display and set a black background everywhere else

Thank you @Romain DIELEMAN​ , first approach sounds appealing to me to try, would you care to elaborate please?

Where the changes needed? CubeMX ? TouchGFX designer or manual code ?