cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H7 RNG clock configuration

Gpeti
Senior II

I'm using for the first time the RNG of STM32H753. I have a "clock error" which means that rng_clk is too slow compared to HCLK.

The reference manual mentions the following:

0693W00000Lz1PNQAZ.png 

Is it a problem to just disable the clock error detection since it seems that the level of entropy fits the statistical benchmark ?

Right now I disabled the clock error detection, kept rng_clk to the default value(hsi8_ck) and the bit DRDY is never set after I enable the RNG.

2 REPLIES 2
TDK
Guru

Disabling error detection because you're seeing errors is rarely the proper course of action.

Show your code where you set up the clock, or a readout of the registers which control it. It sounds like the clock is not what you think it is.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Well, the disabling of clock error detection is mentioned by STMicro in the ref manual and the RNG still seems to reach a good level of entropy and to work in this case (or I didn't understand the paragraph of the ref manual copied above).

Anyway I've switched rng_clk to another faster clock source and I don't have errors anymore.

I'm still curious to understand what my problem was.

No need to show my code, clocks are at maximum (HCLK 200MHz IIRC), rng_clk source was the default one ie. HSI