cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restart HSM (STM32HSM-V2AE)

mikel-m
Associate II

Hello,

I am following the guide to generate SFI files. I am testing and have programmed the HSM. Is there any way to "restart" the HSM? Is there any way to start the guide over as if I hadn't done anything?

I am particularly interested in obtaining information about the HSM to be able to run the tests an restart the HSM if necessary.

The problem is that I have a limited number in the HSM counter (25) and I would like to know if it's an issue if it reaches 0 or not. 

Best regards,

Sin título.png

1 REPLY 1
Jocelyn RICARD
ST Employee

Hello @mikel-m,

The HSM is a kind of locker. If you could restart it, it would be problematic for the security.

Principle is to count the license generated and stop generating when count reaches 0.

This allows having control over production.

Now, you need to know that a license is attached to a specific chip through its certificate.

Each chip is provisioned in ST's secure factory with a different certificate.

So, as long as you use the same chip for testing the SFI, you can reuse the same license.

To do this, you need first to request the license from the chip. You can do this using STM32CubeProgrammer in security tab (Shield) in SFI/SFIx tab on the right side of the window just click on "Get License from HSM".

A pop-up will ask you for a filename. 

Then you can launch sfi using this license file on the same chip.

You need to replace in the programmer sfi command line "hsm=1 slot=1" parameters by just the filename with path of your license file. File name should have .bin extension. MyLicense.bin for instance

You can check with this that a license used on one chip cannot be used for another one.

Best regards

Jocelyn