cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Writing bytes to internal flash memory blocks all interrupts on the STM32L0 despite moving the vector table and ISR functions to RAM

Alexandre Courtemanche
Associate II

The Context

I have a embedded system running on an STM32L053 processor that needs to process STM32 hardware timer interrupts regularly and cannot be disabled. These top-priority interrupts cannot be prevented because it could cause a failure in the whole system. I also need to process user inputs that can cause writes to NVM (non-volatile memory) at random times to save settings while processing timer interrupts concurrently. I am using IAR compiler.

The problem

During the flash writes that can occur randomly, it blocks CPU execution as well as all interrupts for about 6ms. This is a problem because the processing of hardware timer interrupts cannot be prevented or it can cause a failure of the entire system.

The potential solution

After some research, I found this document on ST's website that explains exactly how to manage this problem. From what I understand in this document, the list of things to do to prevent the blocking of interrupts are the following:

• Initiating the flash writes from RAM.
  • Interrupt handler code must be placed in RAM
  • Abstain from using constants that are placed in program Flash memory
  • Data EEPROM cannot be read while being written
  • Vector table relocated in RAM
  • Vector table address must be written in the System Control Block register VTOR.
  • Check that the vectors in the table needed during data EEPROM write access period are pointing to RAM

Vector table relocation

void SystemInit (void)
{    
  // (...)
  /* Configure the Vector Table location add offset address ------------------*/
#ifdef VECT_TAB_SRAM
  /* Vector Table Relocation in Internal SRAM */
  #pragma section = ".intvec_RAM"
  SCB->VTOR = (uint32_t)__section_begin(".intvec_RAM");
#else
  SCB->VTOR = FLASH_BASE | VECT_TAB_OFFSET; /* Vector Table Relocation in Internal FLASH */
#endif
}

Linker Script:

Linker Script

/*###ICF### Section handled by ICF editor, don't touch! ****/
/*-Editor annotation file-*/
/* IcfEditorFile="$TOOLKIT_DIR$\config\ide\IcfEditor\cortex_v1_0.xml" */
/*-Specials-*/
define symbol __ICFEDIT_intvec_start__ = 0x08000000;
/*-Memory Regions-*/
define symbol __ICFEDIT_region_ROM_start__ = 0x08000000 ;
define symbol __ICFEDIT_region_ROM_end__   = 0x0800FFFF;
define symbol __ICFEDIT_region_RAM_start__ = 0x200000EC;
define symbol __ICFEDIT_region_RAM_end__   = 0x20001FFF;

/*-Sizes-*/
define symbol __ICFEDIT_size_cstack__ = 0x400;
define symbol __ICFEDIT_size_heap__   = 0x200;
/**** End of ICF editor section. ###ICF###*/

define symbol __RAM_intvec_start = 0x20000000;
define memory mem with size = 4G;
define region ROM_region      = mem:[from __ICFEDIT_region_ROM_start__   to __ICFEDIT_region_ROM_end__];
define region RAM_region      = mem:[from __ICFEDIT_region_RAM_start__   to __ICFEDIT_region_RAM_end__];

define block CSTACK    with alignment = 8, size = __ICFEDIT_size_cstack__   { };
define block HEAP      with alignment = 8, size = __ICFEDIT_size_heap__     { };

initialize by copy { readwrite };
initialize by copy { section .intvec_RAM };

do not initialize  { section .noinit };

place at address mem:__ICFEDIT_intvec_start__ { readonly section .intvec };
place at address mem: __RAM_intvec_start { section .intvec_RAM };

place in ROM_region   { readonly };
place in RAM_region   { readwrite,
                        block CSTACK, block HEAP };

Startup Script:

I have two startup scripts added to my project, one with the original vector table (in flash) that has all the handlers except forReset_Handler replaced with Empty_Handler and the other that has the handlers placed in RAM.

The ISR Code:

__ramfunc void TIM22_IRQHandler(void)
{
    if(LL_TIM_IsActiveFlag_TRIG(TIM22) == 1)
    {
        LL_TIM_ClearFlag_TRIG(TIM22);
    }
    if(LL_TIM_IsActiveFlag_CC2(TIM22) == 1)
    {
        LL_TIM_ClearFlag_CC2(TIM22);
        LL_TIM_ClearFlag_CC2OVR(TIM22);
    }
}

The Flash write blocking code

This is the piece of code that blocks all interrupts from happening for about about 6ms (the time it takes for a write to flash). It called periodically.

typedef struct 
{
    uint8_t uniqueNumber; // 1 byte
} Eeprom_t;

__ramfunc static void SaveStuffToFlash(void)
{
    static uint8_t _numberToStore = 1;
    _eepromData.uniqueNumber = _numberToStore;
    while(__HAL_FLASH_GET_FLAG(FLASH_FLAG_BSY) == 1) 
    {
        // wait for flag to go to zero.
    };
    _numberToStore++;
}

The persistent problem

I don't know why, but the interruptions are still getting blocked when the SaveStuffToFlash() function is called. I don't have all the code in RAM, only the code that does the save to the internal flash. I followed all the directions in the application note and it seems to still block interrupts. I have run out of ideas and means to debug this.

3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

I expect e.g. LL_TIM_IsActiveFlag_TRIG() to reside in flash and so block.Use only register access are function you have explicit checked for residing in RAM.

Alexandre Courtemanche
Associate II

If I look at the disassembly of the ISR, there is absolutely no access to flash at all. Everything is in RAM (0x2000000) or timer peripherals (0x4000000).

0693W00000Hqv9bQAB.png