cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will software of STM32F407ZET6 work in STM32F407ZGT6?

VaZso
Associate III

Dear Community,

I would like to request manufacturing additional board for a project but currently PCB assembling partner doesn't have STM32F407ZET6 in stock but it has STM32F407ZGT6.

Basically, these two MCUs have the same capabilities except ZGT6 has double amount of flash memory which I don't need to use.

Should I afraid loading the same software in ZGT6 would cause problems?

So I would only use 512kB of flash but I would like to download the same firmware.

It is because I have an own boot loader and remote upgrade possibility and I would not like to handle two separate chips for remote upgrade because of the inability to source the very same chip.

Theoretically they should not have more difference other than their flash size.

Do anyone have any experiences or ideas?

Also, would development environment (STM32CUBEIDE) allow programming a ZET6 project into a ZGT6 chip?

Thank you your help in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Same Die, More Flash Tested, Spent more time on tester.

Time has a direct relationship to throughput on the line, and thus cost.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Same Die, More Flash Tested, Spent more time on tester.

Time has a direct relationship to throughput on the line, and thus cost.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Thanks.

I thought the same but I would like to be sure and I am also afraid IDE may complain (which it should not as only the flash is bigger).

The alternative is to source the original chip elsewhere then do a hand-soldering which I would like to avoid doing for several boards...

So I really hope picking the bigger version will mot mess up anything.

Just tested a bit on a newly created project compiled for ST32F407ZGT6 only blinking LEDs can be downloaded to STM32F407ZET6 using IDE (so the other direction) and as the chip should be otherwise identical, I think I will not have problems downloading firmware made for ZET6 to ZGT6 as flash should always fit.