cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the cause of STM32 shortage? When will STM32 processors be available as normal? The pricing and delivery times are ridiclous now.

rickard2
Associate III

31 REPLIES 31

Not sure.

They had committed to doubling EU capacity during this decade, I'd suspect that's being accelerated with the encouragement of respective governments, and whatever they are doing in the US too.

Not clear what specific guidance would do here, that 50-80 week deliveries doesn't adequately articulate? If you're waiting for ST to convey/explain the gravity of the situation, you're playing a losing hand. Change the things within your own control.

People need to pivot into new designs, likely using new parts, on tighter geometries, and smaller die.

A lot of places seem to disband engineering teams assuming their product can be built for a decade, while at the other end some are on consumer life-cycles, and are constantly pivoting into the "next thing".

My expectation is that a lot of non-profitable lines are going to be nixed to free space from more profitable one. Old designs are going to see a lot of attrition, as multiple parts are pushed to EOL.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

There is certainly a need to pivot and come up with alternatives.

Perhaps multiple, and cleaning up the code so it's more portable across parts and architectures.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..