cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual COM Port in STM32F407VGT6 discovery board.

Sahiru
Associate II

Hi

I got a new STM32F407VGT6 Dicovery board which is quite awesome. I have been playing with it and now I want to print stuff to a terminal via Serial. I looked up some tutotials and there they simply use the on board STLink becasue USART pins are connected between the MCU and the STLINK and gets the Serial data through USB to the computer. To do that they install VCP drivers which I also did. But when I plug in my STM32 board it does not show as an COM Port. Instead it shows as STM32 STLink.

This is the tutorial I have been following. For now I am using an external Serial Converter and getting the job done. But it is messy and I would like to know how to get this done with the STLink itseld. Please share your thoughts with me.

Best Regards

0693W00000GY6rrQAD.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

You may need to update the STLink firmware to support VCP. I don't believe VCP was a thing when the board was originally shipped (which is why it's not hooked up by default--see board user manual). You can do this within STM32CubeProgrammer.

Assuming you have the latest firmware which includes VCP, the device will show up as both a STLink debugger and a Virtual Com port, the latter of which will be listed in COM Ports, not in USB devices.

0693W00000GY7ZoQAL.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TDK
Guru

You may need to update the STLink firmware to support VCP. I don't believe VCP was a thing when the board was originally shipped (which is why it's not hooked up by default--see board user manual). You can do this within STM32CubeProgrammer.

Assuming you have the latest firmware which includes VCP, the device will show up as both a STLink debugger and a Virtual Com port, the latter of which will be listed in COM Ports, not in USB devices.

0693W00000GY7ZoQAL.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

The 407 discovery board does not connect the 407 to the STLink serial port.

https://embedded.fm/blog/2016/12/6/discovery-uarts-part-2-connections

Try that.