cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a G4 with an Oscillator

Tobe
Senior III

Im planing on using a Jo22 oscillator with 24 Mhz: https://www.jauch.com/downloadfile/5ef1edcfb7fd5cebb9856be49a6932f5e/jo22-1.8-3.3v.pdf%C2%A0

Are there any things i have to look out for?

I havent found a example circuit, and the datasheet of the oscillator speaks of different load capacitances. What is this capacitance?

11 REPLIES 11
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Well, the manufacturer of the oscillator should be able to answer your questions. However, oscillators are quite easy to use and only need to be connected to VCC, GND and the output to the OSC_IN. In addition, the enable pin must be connected, whereby I assume that with Jauch the oscillator is enabled with high at pin e/d and in standby with low.

As far as the load capacitance is concerned, this refers to the capacitance at the output. However, if you keep the connection to the OSC_IN very short, you should only add a few pF to the PCB capacitance of a few pF.

Hope that helps?

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

>>I havent found a example circuit, and the datasheet of the oscillator speaks of different load capacitances. What is this capacitance?

Capacitance being the resistance-to-change.

Here it is talking about the input capacitance (load) presented by the MCU and wiring to it, that the oscillator expects to be driving against to get the prescribed frequency and slew. If the MCU doesn't present enough you can add capacitance in the form of a capacitor to ground on the HSE_IN signal.

You also on the STM32 side want to be using the HSE_BYPASS mode for a LVCMOS input rather than the side of a crystal.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

@Tesla DeLorean The load capacity is not a setpoint or minimum value, but the maximum capacitance that the output of the oscillator can drive. Hence my statement that the perhaps 3...5pF board capacitance + perhaps 2...4pF line capacitance can easily be driven by the oscillator without the need for a buffer in between.

Do you agree?

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
AScha.3
Chief II

This is an active oscillator, generating 24MHz output; the load cap is the maximum load, it can drive within its spec, so dont worry about this; just place the Jo22 close the cpu and a 100nF cer. cap close to the Jo22 .

My extra recommendation is to put a serial damping resistor , about 51 ohm, in the 24M clock trace to the cpu, to prevent any ringing.

And enable pin to Vcc : (= high)

AScha3_0-1704479250697.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

"You also on the STM32 side want to be using the HSE_BYPASS mode for a LVCMOS input rather than the side of a crystal."

What do you mean by that?

I mean you need to change the characteristics of the input / inverter feed back

/** @defgroup RCC_HSE_Config HSE Config
  * @{
  */
#define RCC_HSE_OFF                    0x00000000U                                /*!< HSE clock deactivation */
#define RCC_HSE_ON                     RCC_CR_HSEON                               /*!< HSE clock activation */
#define RCC_HSE_BYPASS                 (RCC_CR_HSEBYP | RCC_CR_HSEON)             /*!< External clock source for HSE clock */

g4_hse_bypass.jpg

In GPIO input mode the capacitance is nominally around 5 pF, and the high/low thresholds change.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Where did you get the 5pF information? I couldnt find it.

This range is mentioned in AN2867.

The only 5pF i found was a shunt capacitance, and a stray capacitance in a example formula.

I would expect to find such value in the datasheet.