cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UART Receive on STM32F746G only when data is sent from master board

Shruthi
Associate II

I'm communicating between STM32F746G-Discovery ans ESP32 using UART (PC6 and PC7 pins on STM). ESP receives some data at certain intervals over WiFi and transmits it to STM via UART.

On STM I want UART to receive data only when ESP32 has transmitted. Probably STM has to keep listening to UART port until there is data. I want this in non-blocking mode, since there are other peripherals and display working on STM.

How does STM32 know that ESP is sending data over UART and HAL_UART_Receive_IT has to be called to receive it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RX_BUFF_SIZE tends to ONE ?

Otherwise you're wait on other characters that may, or may not, turn up in any given time.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TDK
Guru

HAL_UART_Receive_IT should be called before data is sent. The receive complete interrupt callback is called through an interrupt when data is actually received.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

You leave HAL_UART_Receive_IT() constantly pending, I'd suggest waiting for one byte, and without any timeout expectations.

When data arrives, the UART will interrupt, and your IRQ/Callback implementation will fetch the data into a buffer, and submit a new HAL_UART_Receive_IT() to catch the next byte. In some worker-task, or periodic loop, you check the buffer for inbound data, and accumulate or process that, parsing when you have enough data to act upon.

Shruthi
Associate II

Could you please suggest how to keep  HAL_UART_Receive_IT() pending and wait for one byte?

So inside callback implementation, should I call HAL_UART_Receive_IT() again to get the next data?

void HAL_UART_RxCpltCallback(UART_HandleTypeDef *huart)

{

// set flag

HAL_UART_Receive_IT(&huart6, Rx_buff, RX_BUFF_SIZE);

}

Could you please suggest how to keep HAL_UART_Receive_IT() pending and wait for one byte?

So inside callback implementation, should I call HAL_UART_Receive_IT() again to get the next data?

void HAL_UART_RxCpltCallback(UART_HandleTypeDef *huart)

{

// set flag

HAL_UART_Receive_IT(&huart6, Rx_buff, RX_BUFF_SIZE);

}

RX_BUFF_SIZE tends to ONE ?

Otherwise you're wait on other characters that may, or may not, turn up in any given time.