cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timer -> DMA -> SPI

Dude
Associate III

Hi, 

I am having trouble getting the Timer to trigger a DMA -> SPI operation. Namely, I want to set the timer up to run,. Then, get every overflow event to trigger the DMA to move a byte into the SPI. The SPI should auto-send. Then, the cycle repeats until the DMA has moved a N-bytes. 

I am feeling really blind, because I cannot figure out the problem. At first, I was trying to find the right setting to get the Timer to trigger a DMA request upon UEV generation. However, I could not find such a feature. So instead, I setup DMA1 Channel 3. TIM6 should map to this DMA. Then I setup TIM6 to generate a UEV upon Overflow (URS = 1, UDIS = 0). Finally, I setup TIM6 to generate a DMA request upon update (UDE = 1).

Still nothing. 

Can I get some input? 

Dude_0-1688422688371.png

Dude_1-1688422704488.png

Dude_2-1688422711868.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I am trying to do may not be possible in the way that I thought. 

Would the DMA rapid fire send N-bytes to the SPI upon the first successful DMA request? Is there a way to get it to send only 1 byte at a time, triggered by the timer? 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And auto-increment through memory? So..

• Timer6 -> Overflow -> UEV -> DMA -> Byte 0 -> SPI
  • Timer6 -> Overflow -> UEV -> DMA -> Byte 1 -> SPI
  • Timer6 -> Overflow -> UEV -> DMA -> Byte 2 -> SPI
  • Timer6 -> Overflow -> UEV -> DMA -> Byte N -> SPI

12 REPLIES 12
Dude
Associate III

Content shuffled down

@waclawek.jan 

Question responded in order:

1.  STM32L4
  2. I am trying to trigger the DMA with TIM6_Up 
  3. I did not have CSELR set, I do now. 

Dude_0-1688488123422.png

As a result, the DMA triggers. I also set the DMA to circular buffer mode (CIRC = 1) and N-bytes to 28 (CNDTR3 = 28). 

Will the DMA move 1 byte per request (TIM6 UEV) or 28 bytes? 

thanks

thanks

> Will the DMA move 1 byte per request (TIM6 UEV) or 28 bytes?

One.

JW