cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32U5 series has no FMC SDRAM controller

etheory
Senior II

After finding that the stm32u5 series seemed perfect for my application I discovered it does not have an FMC SDRAM controller.

This leaves me in a strange position for my application where the stm32h5 doesn't have HS USB and the stm32u5 doesn't have an SDRAM controller. Will there be an stm32u5 model in the future with FMC SDRAM support?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
STOne-32
ST Employee

Dear @etheory ,

For STM32U5, you can see that SDRAM support is removed from FMC Controller and we have only "FSMC",

S to say only Static memories, but we added optimized controllers for XSPI and OctoSPI memories ( low cost and low power oriented)  x16 lines up to 160MHz.  So it is a design applications choice. Regarding H5 series, it is a new one and we are continuing the roadmap for more features, you can have a direct contact with your local distributor.

Hope it helps,

STOne-32.

Thanks @STOne-32 I can see that, but will a U5 ever be released with an SDRAM controller?

If so, that would be super useful, since the fact it has low power, HS USB and cordic/fmac/graphics acceleration is very very useful. It would be the ideal MCU for my audio projects if it additionally had an external SDRAM controller for external RAM connectivity.