Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32L071 comperator vrefint bug in HAL and Ref Manual

Tobias Wedell
Associate II
Posted on January 09, 2017 at 11:41

Hi,

I have found a bug for STM32L071xx series in using the comperators with vrefint in the actual Reference Manual V7.0 and the actual HAL STMCubeL0 V.1.7.0:

When selecting the the vrefint for the comperator minus input the comperator is not working as expected and triggers at random values.

In the Reference Manual is said (Page 325):

Note: If VREFINT or a fraction of VREFINT (using the scaler) is selected, then EN_VREFINT

bit must be set in the SYSCFG_CFGR3 register (see

Section 9.2.3: Reference control

and status register (SYSCFG_CFGR3)

).

But the EN_VREFINT is not set by the HAL in the function HAL_COMP_Init.

Further in the Reference Manual (Page 235):

Note: It is forbidden to configure both EN_VREFINT and ULP to 1 if the device is in Stop

mode or in Sleep/Low-power sleep mode (refer to

Section 6.4.1: PWR power control

register (PWR_CR)

for a description of the ULP bit). If the device is not in low-power

mode, VREFINT is always enabled whatever the state of EN_VREFINT and ULP.

This is not correct. In my test the VREFINT is not enabled for the comperator when the MCU is in RUN Mode.

As a workaround I enabled the the EN_VREFINT bit manually with:

SET_BIT(SYSCFG->CFGR3, 1);

Now the comperator is working as expected with VREFINT as minus input (only tested COMP2).

Additionally the bit 29 in SYSCFG_CFGR3 is set to 1. But don't now what it means because the bit name is 'Res.'.

Be aware that you reset the EN_VREFINT bit before entering stop mode otherwise the power consumption in stop mode is much higher. Setting the ULP bit in PWR_CR Register is not working for me. But it has to be set to get the a low power consumption in stop mode.

Please check this and confirm.

Best regards,

Tobias Wedell

#vrefint #bug #reference-manual-error #hal-bug #stm32l071
12 REPLIES 12
Posted on January 09, 2018 at 15:17

And what about the issue with the reference manual Tobias mentioned in the second part of his post?

JW

Posted on January 09, 2018 at 16:39

Hello

Waclawek.Jan

There was in the reference manualRM0377 Rev 8 updated in Section 9.2.3: Reference control and status register (SYSCFG_CFGR3) and the firmware package will be fixed according the reference manual.

Best Regards

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Posted on January 09, 2018 at 16:54

Hi Imen,

The text in In RM0377, Rev.8, for SYSCFG_CFG3.EN_VREFINT mentions only the COMP2 *scaler* (' VREFINT is always enabled whatever the state of EN_VREFINT and ULP. EN_VREFINT controls only COMP2 scaler.'); whereas, apparently, COMP2's *unscaled* VREFINT input won't work either, unless this bit is set.

Also, I'd suggest to add this signal to Figure 51. Comparator 1 and 2 block diagrams.

Jan