cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H7R/S lines: 1st STM32 with bootflash and on-the-fly encryption

Amel NASRI
ST Employee

The new STM32H7R/S lines are built on the success of the STM32H7 series, offering even higher performance and security at a lower cost. The STM32H7R/S is a bootflash-based MCU powered by a Cortex®-M7 core running up to 600 MHz, with 64 KB of user flash and 620 KB of flexible SRAM. It is designed for external memory scalability and flexibility accommodating the most demanding application requirements in IoT, medical and industrial settings.

The STM32H7R/S lines cover a general purpose line (STM32H7R3/7S3) and graphics line (STM32H7R7/7S7), to address the MPU-like GUI applications. Additionally, both lines offer advanced security features (including secure boot, secure firmware installation, and hardware encryption/decryption) and target SESIP3 and PSA Certified Level 3 certifications.

GIF-STM32H7RS.gif

STM32 software and hardware tools available:

For more information:

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

16 REPLIES 16

Hi,

The biggest problem with STM32 series is lack of big data handling capability. Do you have any (plan) microcontrollers with Giga Bit ethernet port or RGMII? 

Sorry, I am not an STM employee.
"big data handling" and you ask for Giga Bit ethernet when the chip runs with MCU core clock of 600 MHz.
Why?
The MCU cannot generate a network packet so that Giga Bit ethernet could be utilized.
For my experience: even with a 100M ETH - hard to get this throughput really at the end.
And I think, the board might have a 1G ethernet PHY and configured as such one - but getting 1Gbit via ETH with a 600 MHz MCU - can it be possible?

And RGMII is there already, I think, many MCUs and boards use it.

The STM MCUs are mainly "for embedded systems", not for "network routers".

"big data handling" is often not needed, if MCU FW is designed to pre-process "gig data" (and to reduce the amount of data still needed to send to a host for post-processing).

What can be so fast as a connected sensor, camera, ... (?) that 1G ETH would be needed? And who wants to burn so much power at the end (because of this speed)? (besides the fact that such a fast speed as 1Gbps needs also very large buffers and memories, so even more burning power...).

To be honest: I am happy with the STM32 MCUs: they are fast, they have enough memory, they have support for
fast ETH speed (100M)... and all is a topic to design an efficient distributed embedded system, to share the load between MCU as aggregation and pre-processing on a host as post-processing. 

@ManishNair you are after the MP1 or MP2 series for that type of thing.

Microcontrollers simply don't have the speed and performance to handle that much data. The H7 is for a different purpose. Gigabit doesn't fit the intended use cases of these products IMO.

What's your use case?

Please,

can you unpin this thread or "close"?
It would be nice that we do not get it anymore all the time on top of every thread list.
(I think, it is mature to close this thread meanwhile, as a "solution").

Thank you.

hi  

I totally agree with you, STM32H7 series are really superb. They are giving 96Mbps ETH thruput in most of my DAQ systems, along with 2MSPS adc (16-bit interleaved) sampling and required SD exfat recording. However I have various other systems, that handles up to 128 Channel sensor arrays in which AM243x Series microcontrollers are used along with DP83869 Gigabit PHY.  Those cores are running at 800Mhz. However when comparing a TI chip with STM32, STM32 gives more relaxed coding, result and reliability (at least in my products) and I always stick to STM32 family.

"big data handling" and you ask for Giga Bit ethernet when the chip runs with MCU core clock of 600 MHz.
Why? - t           here are several microcontrollers connected together and network traffic is on TDM(Same technic is used for STM32H753 @ 400Mhz (V ver.) send packet for 500us @100Mbps wait for 9.5ms. ). 

"big data handling" is often not needed-          but it is indispensable for my systems and we are handling it with several STM32H753 @ 100Mbps and AM243x @ 1000mbps... An STM32 series chip will reduce development time....

"who wants to burn so much power " -     there are application where power is not even secondary, of course no concern for cost. Only performance..

Thank you for your reply...! 

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try MP1 or MP2 with available development boards...

Hi @tjaekel ,

If your purpose is to not receive notification, you can unsubscribe yourself from this thread (Options section).

It makes sense to close the thread and let our Community members ask their questions in new ones, but I prefer to keep it pinned for some more time :).

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.