cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32G491KxU6 don't have exposed die pad

MallikarjunSE
Associate II

Hello,

I can't see exposed die pads on STM32G491KCU6 and KEU6. Is this okay to use? Are they thermally limited for use?

MallikarjunSE_0-1704435763381.png

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
STOne-32
ST Employee

Dear @MallikarjunSE ,

Thank you for joining our community and happy new year 2024 !

Yes, we confirm that no exposed die pad on this selected package and MCU, You see our datasheet here :

STM32G491KC - Mainstream Arm Cortex-M4 MCU 170 MHz with 256 Kbytes of Flash memory, Math Accelerator, High Analog level integration - STMicroelectronics

G4_PD.png

We need to ensure that the Junction temperature should stay below Tjmax so in your selected package U6 that means 105°C in Low power dissipation and up to 85° in maximum power dissipation.   and many thanks to spot this case as It draw our attention that in Table 102 the Package thermal characteristics  for QFPN32 are missing : 

Thermal resistance junction-ambient and is 91°C/W 

Thermal resistance junction-case is 30.5°C/W

Thermal resistance junction-board is 37.5°C/W

to be able to so your own simulation.  We logged this in our Internal Database with Number 169990 for follow-up.

Cheers,

STOne-32.

Any reason why this doesn't follow standard QFN32 package with die pad?
From STMicro e-store, the die pad is shown on KEU6 and not on KCU6 footprint. 

IMG_5975.jpeg

Dear @MallikarjunSE ,

You can select instead the QFN48 package that have the best thermal performance where you can see the exposed pad in the 7*7 mm surface . However the part number is C and not K .

I need to check this data  on the estore which is not inline with the product datasheet .

I’m not sure that there is a standard on exposed pad on package , it depends on many parameters - feasibility and also target applications and market versus all packages .

let me know if it helps you .

Cheers,

STOne32