cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32G4 not functional after setting RDP Level 1

B.Lunce
Associate II

I’ve been struggling with setting up RDP Level 1 on my STM32G473CBT6.

This project does not use the system bootloader. The BOOT0 pin is held low and it boots from FLASH using our own bootloader.

I have code in place to accept a command to program RDP Level 1. It is fairly simple:

if(HAL_FLASH_Unlock() != HAL_OK){
     return;
  }

if(HAL_FLASH_OB_Unlock() != HAL_OK){
     HAL_FLASH_Lock();
     return;
  }

FLASH_OBProgramInitTypeDef ob_prog = {.OptionType = OPTIONBYTE_RDP, .RDPLevel = OB_RDP_LEVEL1};

HAL_FLASHEx_OBProgram(&ob_prog);
  /* This call should reset the MCU. */
  (void)HAL_FLASH_OB_Launch();

The problem is the MCU is non-functional after performing this operation. I have no way to know what is going on because I can’t debug at RDP Level 1. I have confirmed the Option Bytes are set as expected using STM32CubeProgrammer (RDP Level 1 is set). Power cycling and unplugging the ST-LINK does not work. The only recovery is to revert to Level 0 via ST-LINK and re-flash.

To eliminate the possibility of my code being the problem, I have programmed RDP Level 1 via ST-LINK and got the same results. The other Option Bytes are at their default values.

4 REPLIES 4
Bob S
Principal

You may need to resort to classic debugging techniques: Toggle GPIOs, output to UART, etc. Specially in your bootloader so you can follow its progress.

Might also try CubeProgrammer instead of STLink.

Without being able to get BOOT0 HIGH, you're not going to be able to walk it out via a USART and the ROM Based System Loader..

Segger / J-Link may offer more options/recovery methods, although not used in some time, and not for G4's

Should probably practice on a NUCLEO, or some other board that's actually accessible when tinkering with such functionality initially.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
B.Lunce
Associate II

It is simple enough to recover from the error state. Since I'm only setting RDP Level 1, it is still possible to connect via ST-LINK with the STM32CubeProgrammer. I can reprogram the Option Bytes and re-flash.

Just not sure where the processor goes. I'll see if I can reproduce on a NUCLEO.

I've been through this with an H7. Completely different animal (but works as expected).

My expectation is that you'd need to cycle power after setting in this mode.

Perhaps add code in Reset Handler to toggle GPIO's or output to a UART, confirming some level of life.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..