cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32G030 burns itself when power up

LinWhanChuan
Associate II
I soldered a stm32g030F6P6 on ssop-to-beadboard PCB. When I connect Vdd(pin4) to 3V, Vss(pin5) to ground it will over current and burn it self (about 200mA input current). I have burnt 3 of it.
I find out that the input resistance of power rail is super low at around 10 ohm and I am 100% sure I did not bridge the pins together, here is the picture where pin number is aligned with breadboard and white line is ground blue line is 3V capacitor is 0.1uF
IMG20231001233312.jpg
What seem to be the problem here?
I have burnt 3 of it on 3 different ssop-to-beadboard PCB therefore can rule out the possibility of bad soldering.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

Missing ceramic decoupling cap and bulk cap. Electrolytic will not perform as well.

I'd get a nucleo board, or put the chip into a real circuit that follows the hardware design guide recommendations.

https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/an5096-getting-started-with-stm32g0-series-hardware-development-stmicroelectronics.pdf

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AScha.3
Chief II

so... assuming, you have no fakes (no working chip..) - you know for sure ?

you just connected some pins wrong. check pin numbers vcc * gnd again ...

btw 10 ohms are impossible...this you might see between gnd and gnd pins...so you did a very basic mistake. or there is not this stm chip inside. where you buy them ?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

I bought them online from china. I am sure the chip is valid because I managed to read one of them in cubeProgrammer and after a few minute that one chip started to burn.

ok.. so 100% sure your supply is 3v3 and never higher ? one spike is enough to kill the cpu.

and dont use cheap wall wart - mains coupling is high, so you kill the cpu when touching any pin, while (bad) smps supply is connected. always connect good ground (mains) first to gnd, then power up/plug in supply.

same for soldering - solder station has to be mains ground connected, test this (unpowered!!!!) by measuring resistance from solder tip to mains plug gnd. if not grounded, you damage every chip already when you solder it.

TDK
Guru

Missing ceramic decoupling cap and bulk cap. Electrolytic will not perform as well.

I'd get a nucleo board, or put the chip into a real circuit that follows the hardware design guide recommendations.

https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/an5096-getting-started-with-stm32g0-series-hardware-development-stmicroelectronics.pdf

Thanks for the information, I'll try