cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stm32f407 Disc and external stlink problem

Ahmetp
Associate II

Hi everyone I'm trying to use external debugger with my stm32 disc1 board. The problem is if i only connect the stlink and my board i can't debug it, but if I power the board with another usb port i can access it.

So my question is why do i have to power the board with external source and how can i power it only using stlink debugger.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You can take a look at this video. It should help you.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TDK
Guru

Most debuggers do not provide power. If the board isn't powered, you can't debug it, so it needs to be powered externally. What debugger are you using? Please be specific.

The on-board ST-link chip could also be causing issues as that board isn't designed to be programmed with an external debugger.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Günaydın @Ahmetp 

According to the section 6.2 of the UM1472: 

"The power supply is provided either by the host PC through the USB cable, or by an external 5 V power supply. 5V can be used as input power supplies, for instance when the USB connector is not connected to the PC. In this case, the STM32F4DISCOVERY board must be powered by a power supply unit or by auxiliary equipment complying with standard EN-60950-1: 2006+A11/2009, and must be Safety Extra Low Voltage (SELV) with limited power capability".

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Ahmetp
Associate II

I use stlink v2 mini for debugging. So which pins should i also supply with Vcc in order to program it while only debugger connected to the pc ?  

So which pins should i also supply with Vcc in order to program it while only debugger connected to the pc ?  

You can take a look at this video. It should help you.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32