Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F4 - Discovery fail

regiuliano2009
Associate II
Posted on February 17, 2012 at 11:44

Dear

STe2e Community,

I'm newbie to STM32F4 programming so I'm starting using a Discovery Board. I'm searching to get working a led on/off circuit with power terminal of the board but I don't know I burned 2 discovery board. I mean that the ST-LINK is not responding and LD8 is red. In the other board also LD5 is red. Is there any procedure to make these boards start working again or I wasted my money?

Thx to everyone for the replays.

CX3

#me-too
24 REPLIES 24
frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on July 15, 2014 at 10:37

I'm pretty sure your board is dead.

It is taking 750 mA current.I was using it to drive two motors through L298 IC without opto-couplers.

...and I bet that back-EMF from the motor(s) is the reason.

I strongly suggest galvanic isolation of the motor components (e.g. opto-couplers), or heavy-duty protection circuitry. You better ask a hardware designer here, is this leaves my field of expertise.

shafqathussnain
Associate II
Posted on July 15, 2014 at 13:53

Can I fix this problem by changing the debugger IC?

frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on July 15, 2014 at 14:17

Who knows what all is broken ?

Coils of apple-sized dimensions (or motors, for that matter) can put several dozen watts into a single surge.

If you can determine all broken parts AND have the equipment to replace fine-pitch devices, you may try.

I would scrap the part and order a new one.

In my environment, this board's cost is equivalent to 5..10 minutes of an engineers attention.

jpablo
Associate II
Posted on August 14, 2014 at 13:09

Dear forum,

I design 2 small boards which then I plug along with the discovery (STM32F4) to make them work together. After connecting the USB cable to the board, LD8 turned ON and is constantly ON even tough now nothing is connected to the discovery. 

I wondering if some diode burn or in the worst case an fuse fused.

I also tried the rebooting procedure (BOOT and VDD connected together) but still is not working. In any case my computer can still recognize the ST-Link.

Eventually what kind of hw modification I should do in the discovery to try to solve this problem?

As mentioned above, I made a diode test with a multimeter on diode D1, but looks like that diode is working fine.  Also the discovery board along with an external power supply is not working (LD8 is always ON).

Maybe is not worth but any suggestion to understand what can be the issue and to avoid to burn again another discovery board is appreciated.

Thanks your help.

slew
Associate II
Posted on December 04, 2014 at 11:46

Just a quick question: what exactly does that fix (bypassing D1 protection diode) do and why it helps solving the problem? And why was the D1 burned in the first place? I really want to understand this.

Thanks.