cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F103 Reduce VBAT Current

nmamore
Associate II

My datasheet (STM32F103VC) states the Vbat current draw is 1.4uA. Is there a way to reduce this? I only need the backup domain for RTC/LSE. I know there are many backup registers as well. Could I turn these off to reduce current draw?

4 REPLIES 4
TDK
Guru

The backup domain cannot be partially disabled.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Thank you. Are you familiar with any possible ways that I could further reduce current draw?

You could reduce the voltage to the minimum allowed. I don't think there's anything else you can do apart from that, but I'm not an expert in low power applications.

Logically, if there were something easy that could be done to reduce the current, it would be silly of them not to use the lower value in the datasheet.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Use a different STM32 model, e.g. 'L4 - you can have mostly pin and function compatibility and roughly 2-3x lower IVBAT.

Most of the current goes to LSE/RTC. For even lower battery consumption use a well-chosen external RTC.

JW