cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST is going against the grain. Why did ST remove schematics from development boards?

RhSilicon
Lead

STM32_boards.png

Even Arduino boards have schematics available, why is ST doing this? Do you want to wipe out the few users who buy the development boards? 🤔

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KnarfB
Principal III

They were removed from this document but shall be available on the product website in the CAD resources tab.

hth

KnarfB

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
KnarfB
Principal III

They were removed from this document but shall be available on the product website in the CAD resources tab.

hth

KnarfB

I don't like this step, together with the "modern feel and look", have criticized it in the past, and keep repeating: removing schematics from the manual is convenient for ST, but not for the user. Of course, that schematics has to be kept up to date with generating newer versions, together with maintaining proper links to the archive versions AND maitaining a proper description of all the changes in the manual.

ST, please do the extra work and put back the schematics. And please remove the "modern feel and look". And please reduce photos with unnecessarily large resolution.

JW

And please reduce photos with unnecessarily large resolution.

I suspect another account of mine was banned for suggesting improvements to the website regarding loading times. So I stopped trying to help. I'm just trying to help myself and trying to learn a little more.

So long as the schematics are still publicly available, then I'm all for this. It keeps them up to date with any errata and revisions that come up.

Thierry GUILHOT
ST Employee

I confirm that board schematics are removed from new user manual or upon update and available as a separate pdf file.

Having a schematic into the user manual was not ideal as only the one of the active board revision was present. It means that all users using an older board revision were not in position to retrieve the corresponding schematic.

With this schematic publication approach, schematics of all public revisions of a board are now accessible as a separate pdf file.

Hi @Thierry GUILHOT ,

having schematics of the latest version AND a clear description explaining that older versions are elsewhere, with link, AND a comprehensive list of changes between boards' revisions, is the ideal solution from users' point of view. (At the end of the day, extensive changes are rare and schematics to newer version is for most purposes appropriate too).

It's not ideal for ST, as this all needs to be meticulously kept up to date.

Please, put users' comfort first.

JW

PS. Please avoid "modern feel and look" also in the devboards' manuals.