Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SM32L4 interface with an eMMC

Posted on May 09, 2018 at 13:10

Hello there,

I am using STM32L452. I would like to interface with a SanDisk eMMC memory (

SDINBDG4-8G-XI1

).

In cubeMX, when I configure the project and choose SDMMC1->MMC 4 bits Wide bus, I get the following:

0690X0000060B22QAE.png

Does that mean that there is no ready HAL functions? Or, for instance, can I use the SD 4 bits Wide bus for communication? Are those interfaces compatible in STM32?

I would appreciate all help.

#sd-card- #emmc #mmc
14 REPLIES 14
Daniel O'Neill
Associate II
Posted on May 11, 2018 at 00:11

Instead of selecting 'MMC 4bits wide bus' change to 

'SD 4bits wide bus'.

Not sure why but I have used this for multiple uSD cards and think it should work for eMMC cards....

Maybe someone else could confirm this?

Posted on May 11, 2018 at 06:27

Thanks for answer,

Unfortunately I tried this. The HAL implementation for SD card and eMMC differs at the lower level, different commands are sent. I tried to use the SD code and replace the LL part with eMMC code. The problem is the LL layer exist only for SDIO module, while STM32L4 uses SDMMC module. From the practical point of view I dont know whats the difference between them (apart from how is the code implemented and its a different peripheral).

At the moment I have ordered an STM32F412 development board in order to try it out there (it uses SDIO instead of SDMMC). If it will work there, I will have quite a dilemma- Should I change the MCU used in the project from STM32L4 to STM32F4? Thats why I am hoping to get an answer confirming how does the situation looks at the moment

DAHMEN.IMEN

‌ .

Posted on May 26, 2018 at 00:05

Ok, so making progress on this, I have eMMC running on L4 parts

Currently have builds working on L496ZG-NUCLEO, L4R5ZI-NUCLEO and STM32L4R9I-DISCO

0690X00000604k7QAA.jpg

Lukasz is tinkering with a 20-pin ''eMMC HAT'' that will plug onto the NUCLEO-144's SDMMC header

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
T J
Lead
Posted on May 26, 2018 at 01:30

my wife is Quixotic

Houda GHABRI
ST Employee
Posted on July 13, 2018 at 18:24

Hello 

Przenioslo.Lukasz

Thanks for your feedback and sorry for the late reply.

MMC configuration by CubeMX  is not supported for STM32L452 MCU. Also SDMMC is not supported by LL drivres.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for furthers details.

Best regards,

Houda