cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Significance of "CANFDL" name in RM0440 Figure 664?

jacobq
Associate

I am developing some applications that use an STM32G431 MCU and have a question about one of the figures in the reference manual (RM0440). In the chapter descripting the FDCAN peripheral, Figure 664 "FDCAN block diagram" (MSv51819V2) labels the FDCAN peripheral block as "FDCANL". What is the significance of the "L" suffix here? Is it a revision code of some sort? Does it indicate a "light" version of the peripheral? Something else?

For comparison, I looked at some other reference manuals:

• RM0456 (STM32U5 series) shows "CANFDL" as well (Figure 873, MS51817V1)
  • RM0399 (for STM32H757) shows "FDCAN1" and "FDCAN2" (since there are two instances on that device) (Figure 775, MS51729V1).

jacobq_0-1715102030999.png

jacobq_2-1715102524616.png

jacobq_1-1715102323575.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello @jacobq ,

Just received the answer regarding this subject and "L" suffix refers to Light version as it has less features versus the one implemented in STM32H757.

Hope I answered your question.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello @jacobq ,

I need to check internally and get back to you for a feedback. I could be a typo.

Thank you.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello @jacobq ,

Just received the answer regarding this subject and "L" suffix refers to Light version as it has less features versus the one implemented in STM32H757.

Hope I answered your question.