cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDIO/EMMC version of STM32 versus EMMC IC version

MK..1
Associate III

Hi

I want to use an EMMC( INSIGNIS NSEC53K) with STM32F405 SDIO interface.

• STM32F405 manual says: "Full compliance wit MhultiMediaCard System Specification Version 4.2."
  • the EMMCwe have chosen: INSIGNIS NSEC53K. Its datasheet says:"Compliant with eMMC Specification Ver. 4.4, 4.41, 4.5, 5.0"

Are these 2 kompatibel with each other? Will this work?

At the moment I reach transferstate, but before I spend more time on it, it would be nice to know if there will be major issues.

Which stm32 SDIO/SDMMC interfaces have a MMC spec version >= 4.4?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Well, the families with earlier release dates (STM32F, older STM32L) are all compatible with specification 4.2.

The younger families such as STM32L4+, STM32L5, STM32H then support specification 4.51.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Well, the families with earlier release dates (STM32F, older STM32L) are all compatible with specification 4.2.

The younger families such as STM32L4+, STM32L5, STM32H then support specification 4.51.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
MK..1
Associate III

Thanks very much.

One Question remains open: Will my chosen EMMC (NSEC53K, which does 4.4 upwards) and STM32F405 (which does only 4.2) work together?

Well, this is about the compatibility of a device with a newer specification that is to be controlled by an STM32 with an older specification. Unfortunately, ST cannot make a statement on this, but the manufacturer of the eMMC certainly can.

If the problem is solved, please mark this thread as answered by selecting Select as best, as also explained here. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Good luck!

/Peter