cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing STM32F103CBT6(U2) on the STM32F407G-DISC1

SidneyCritic
Associate II

The U2 on my STM32F407G-DISC1 is shorted and needs to be replaced.
Is the STM32F103CBT6(U2) pre-programmed, or can I just replace it with a new blank STM32F103CBT6 and it gets programmed when you DFU firmware the STM32F407G-DISC1 board.
Hardware isn't a problem for me because I'm a Mech Eng, but how all this software works baffles me, ie, I'm assuming U2 is just a micro and needs code before it becomes functional for whatever it does - lol -.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SidneyCritic
Associate II

Well I found that I had one of those cheap cut down STM dev(DIY MORE) boards on my shelf, so I swapped out the STM32F407VGT6 LQFP100 and now it works fine through the ST-LINK programmer, ie, the other chip was definitely fried. Other than the annoyance of doing everything manually, ie, the DIY ECU software is automated, it seems to work fine.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

> Is the STM32F103CBT6(U2) pre-programmed,

Yes. It has its own bootloader, which is not published by ST.

> or can I just replace it with a new blank STM32F103CBT6 and it gets programmed when you DFU firmware the STM32F407G-DISC1 board.

No.

JW

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

As @waclawek.jan said, ST don't provide the ST-Link code to users.

Probably the easiest way forward is just to use an external ST-Link with the board.

Or get a new board ...

@waclawek.jan wrote:

Yes. It has its own bootloader, which is not published by ST.

I kind-of figured it would be something like that - ouch! -.

The DISC is the controller for a DIY EFI that I completed 4 years ago, but never got running because I found the software side confusing/tedious. Fast forward to today and I thought I would get it actually running with a stimulator(hardware simulator) on the bench, because it wouldn't cost me anything but time - no income -. But since I'm never going to use it it's not worth spending another $50 to buy another DISC just for a whim - a $10 chip change is reasonable -.

Oh well, them's the breaks.
Thanks.

@Andrew Neil wrote:

As @waclawek.jan said, ST don't provide the ST-Link code to users.

Probably the easiest way forward is just to use an external ST-Link with the board.

Or get a new board ...

I pulled the chip(U2) and the short cleared, but running ST-LINK through a USB from a PC and it doesn't see it. I guess you mean talk to it through the programmer. I can only continue the project if it's on-the-cheap - no income -, so it's probably not worth it if I need to buy a programmer. Plus I don't think the projects software - it's automated now -, would be happy going through a programmer - I had enough problems with virtual serial ports 4 years ago. lol -.

@SidneyCritic wrote:

I don't think the projects software - it's automated now -, would be happy going through a programmer

Not sure what you mean by that?

As far as programming & debugging is concerned, an external ST-Link would look exactly the same as the ST-Link originally built-in to the board.

If you have any other ST Disco or Nucleo boards, their ST-Links can usually be used with external targets ...

A genuine ST-Link/V2 is only ~£20; clones work, and are cheaper ...

I think I get it, ie, the programmer opens a new COM# port, and I just direct the app through that.

I'll have to look into it, and see if it fits in my ECU. Basically it has to be convenient to plugin a laptop in the car so you can adjust fuel mapping and data stream -.

Thanks.

@SidneyCritic wrote:

I think I get it, ie, the programmer opens a new COM# port, and I just direct the app through that.

No:  the Virtual COM Port (VCP) is not used for programming and debugging; that's done over a separate link - called SWD (Serial Wire Debug):

https://developer.arm.com/documentation/ihi0031/a/The-Serial-Wire-Debug-Port--SW-DP-/Introduction-to-the-ARM-Serial-Wire-Debug--SWD--protocol

SWD is a development of JTAG:

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/arm-programming/jtag-and-swd

@SidneyCritic wrote:

Basically it has to be convenient to plugin a laptop in the car so you can adjust fuel mapping and data stream

You'd use a UART/COM port for that - not a debugger.

Addendum

This highlights the separate SWD Debug/Programming link (blue) and the UART link (red):

AndrewNeil_0-1712735806055.png

But they both go through the one micro-USB connection - in some cases, a mass-storage device also shares that one connection.

#STLinkUSB #STLinkVCP

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

@SidneyCritic is your issue now resolved?

If so, please mark the solution - to help future readers to find it.

Looks like she's fried - lol -.

I connected a good DISC to one of those cheap ST-Links and it connects fine, but when I connect my blown/removed the (U2) chip DISC, it see the ID, but keeps giving out a "Disable Read Out Protection" error.

I was looking at the DISC manual and it says it has diode protection - looks like it's reverse polarity protection not Zener voltage limiting -, but even then PWR in goes straight to liner regs that can take the 10V overload, so I don't know why it would've blown in the first place.