cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Load project image" for STM32F7508-DK

OIp.1
Associate III

Hi. I'm running through the STM32 starting tutorial and I am at a piece of code that configures GPIO pins. One of the instructions on the readme is this:

In order to load the ExtMem_Boot code :

- Open your preferred toolchain :

- Open the Project

- Rebuild all files

- Load project image

What does "load project image" actually mean, in terms of what I have to mechanically do? And what is a "project image"?

This is for an STM32F7508 Discovery Board, and the readme is from STM32Cube\Repository\STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.17.0\Projects\STM32F7508-DISCO\Examples\GPIO\GPIO_IOToggle.

Please let me know if more information is required, I am relatively new to embedded systems.

According to other similar questions ("Load images into target memory" on 07/07/2020, no link bc ST Forums won't allow me) this can be resolved by "compiling both the CM4 and CM7 applications, and flash the resultant .HEX or .ELF into the device." The issue is that I have not found a "CM4" or "CM7" application, nor am I familiar with the concept of flashing an elf.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FBL
ST Employee

Hello @OIp.1​ and welcome to ST Community =)

First, let me thank you for your interest in STM32 products,

Second, "load project image" in general refers to program the software or application (code) using your the Toolchain (STM32CubeIDE, STM32CubeProgrammer, KEIL, IAR ...), that should be transferred in other words to the Hardware Board through ST-Link. You may refer to Getting started with STM32: STM32 step-by-step - stm32mcu Also, the example proposed is meant to allow different eXecution schemas XiP and execution from external SDRAM. For basic you may refer to the example attached ToggleLed

Finally, It is important to note that STM32F7508-DK is not recommended for new design,

Hope this helps

Firas

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
FBL
ST Employee

Hello @OIp.1​ and welcome to ST Community =)

First, let me thank you for your interest in STM32 products,

Second, "load project image" in general refers to program the software or application (code) using your the Toolchain (STM32CubeIDE, STM32CubeProgrammer, KEIL, IAR ...), that should be transferred in other words to the Hardware Board through ST-Link. You may refer to Getting started with STM32: STM32 step-by-step - stm32mcu Also, the example proposed is meant to allow different eXecution schemas XiP and execution from external SDRAM. For basic you may refer to the example attached ToggleLed

Finally, It is important to note that STM32F7508-DK is not recommended for new design,

Hope this helps

Firas

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.