cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PWM capture with TIMER (with DMA)

Shakthi
Associate II

I have configured TIMER2 to capture PWM input (Basically PWM inputmode). Both CCR1 and CCR2 captures 

period and ontime of the PWM signal respectively. 

I configured DMA to captures these two registers CCR1 and CCR2 by configuring array of two 32bit buffer in DMA_SM0AR.

The register DMA_SPAR is configured with CCR1 address. The number of transacctions configured in DMA_SNDTR is two.

MCU: STM32F207IEH6 

The configs are as below,

// Module number DMA1

// Stream. - 6

// Channel - 3

// Memory data size - 32 bit

// Peripheral data size - 32 bit

// direction - Peripheral to memory

// FIFO mode Direct

// FIFO threshold not used

// Double buffer mode - off

// Circular mode - on

// PINC - on

// MINC - on

I understand that whenever there is an event for raising edge/falling edge the counter values captured in CCR1 or CCR2 copied to the address in DMA_SM0AR.

ie, transfer 1. CCR1 - transfer from Peripheral (TIMER2) to Memory

transfer 2. CCR2 - transfer from Peripheral (TIMER2) to Memory

My query is, the flags HTIFx , TCIFx (in register DMA_HISR) will be set for each of the transfers (1 and 2)? or

as a whole, when transfer 1 is done the HTIFx will be set and when transfer 2 is done the TCIFx is set (because the DMA_SNDTR goes to zero when two requests are served).

Please help me understanding this.

4 REPLIES 4

DMA1 Stream6 Ch3 is triggered by TIM2_CH2, so it depends on how exactly is set TIM2_CH2 - if it's set to capture on both edges, then there will be a transfer upon each edge, but I doubt you've set it so.

I personally would set up two DMAs, one triggered by CH1 and other by CH2, both storing data to a different array.

JW

The capture done on both raising (Captures CCR1 and clears the counter) and falling edge ( captures CCR2).

So the flags  HTIFx , TCIFx are set for each request?

The number of data transfer doesn't play role on setting this TCIFx flag.

Shakthi
Associate II

@Community member​  The HTIFx flag will be set when DMA_SNDTR decremented to 1 and TCIFx flag set when DMA_SNDTR becomes zero.

> The capture done on both raising (Captures CCR1 and clears the counter) and falling edge ( captures CCR2).

Yes, but the DMA trigger comes only from CH2.

> The HTIFx flag will be set when DMA_SNDTR decremented to 1 and TCIFx flag set when DMA_SNDTR becomes zero.

Yes.

JW