cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printf stop working after some time

shukibin
Associate

Hello,

After few successful printing using printf and the SWV ITM data console, the console stops showing new data. 

To recreate, I created new project, selected the device I have (STM32H723ZGT6), followed the instructions to enable debugging via printf/SWV ITM and run a sample program that just print every 100msec.

As you can see in the screenshot, the prints halt after 360 lines, although the program still runs and I can place an interrupt and see the program and the counter still progress correctly.

Any idea what can cause the printf to stop working?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
jking
Associate

I'm having the same problem with an STM32H745 Discovery board.  It will print to the data console for about 15 to 20 seconds and then I have to terminate the debug session and restart it before it will work again.  When I step through the _write() function, I see ITM_SendChar() is still being called for each character.  I also verified the ITM registers aren't changing (TER, TPR, TCR, LAR, LSR, PID*, CID*) from when it works to when it quits working.

@jking Try another host software that displays ITM output. CubeProgrammer, or the CubeIDE debugger with OpenOCD backend ?

Thanks for the suggestion, but I gave up on it because it wasn't going to be my long term solution anyway.  I assigned the output to a serial port on the dev kit instead of the ITM output and haven't had any problems since.