cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OctoSPI Flash in memory mapped mode also used for application data

FlorianZuellig
Associate

Hi,
We have a customer board with STM32H735 and OctoSPI flash in memory mapped mode.
Memory is used for TouchGfx elements and as external code memory.
Now we should add a simple file system for saving some data on the board.

Is it possible to use a file system (read/write access) on a OSPI flash in memory mapped mode.
Due to AN5050 and other resources i would say its not possible.

Can someone confirm to me if this is the case or if there is a way to solve this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LCE
Principal

Just working with H735-Discovery.

You are right, the flash canNOT operate in memory-mapped WRITE mode.

Which makes sense, due to the fact that you can only write a complete flash page (standard for all (?) flash ICs).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
KDJEM.1
ST Employee

Hello @FlorianZuellig and welcome to the Community 🙂,

For graphical applications, I advise you to use this ideal configuration where:
• An HyperFlash memory is connected to OCTOSPI2 that is used to store graphical primitives.
• An HyperRAM memory is connected to OCTOSPI1 that is used to build frame buffer.
• Both OCTOSPI1 and OCTOSPI2 must be configured in HyperBus Memory-mapped mode, with Multiplexed mode enabled.
• Any AHB master (such as CPU, LTDC, DMA2D or SDMMC1/2) can autonomously access to both memories, exactly like an internal memory.

Note that, if there is an on-going memory-mapped read (respectively write) operation, the application can start a write operation as soon as the on-going read (respectively write) operation is terminated.

Please take a look at these posts: Post1, Post2  and these examples OSPI_NOR_MemoryMapped_DTR,   OSPI_HyperRAM_MemoryMapped may help you.

Thank you.

Kaouthar

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

LCE
Principal

Just working with H735-Discovery.

You are right, the flash canNOT operate in memory-mapped WRITE mode.

Which makes sense, due to the fact that you can only write a complete flash page (standard for all (?) flash ICs).