cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

L0 internal EEPROM - simply overwrite?

LCE
Principal

Quick question concerning L0 internal EEPROM...

From RM0377, page 79:

Write to data EEPROM

Description
This operation aims at writing a word or a part of a word in the data EEPROM. The user
must write the right value at the right address and with the right size. The memory
interface automatically executes an erase operation when necessary (if all bits are
currently set to 0, there is no need to delete the old content before writing). Similarly, if
the data to write is at 0, only the erase operation is executed.

So no erasing necessary, simply over-writing eeprom is okay?
This is so unusually comfortable (compared to internal flash workings), that I better ask...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I've never used it, but see no reason not to believe the RM.

ST, strangely, chose to refrain from loudly advertising the EEPROM in 'L0 (and 'L1) as a distinguishing feature.

OTOH, note, that the write cycle is relatively lengthy, and it does prevent code fetches during that time (unless the biggest dual-bank models).

JW

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

I've never used it, but see no reason not to believe the RM.

ST, strangely, chose to refrain from loudly advertising the EEPROM in 'L0 (and 'L1) as a distinguishing feature.

OTOH, note, that the write cycle is relatively lengthy, and it does prevent code fetches during that time (unless the biggest dual-bank models).

JW

LCE
Principal

I just got the Nucleo-L031 and could test some eeprom overwriting, it seems to work as advertised!

The "stalling" while writing is no problem for that application.

Interesting to work with such a "small" STM32, as I already said in my other thread: HAL is impossible! :D
And LL is not much better, good that I learned some direct register access until now... ;)