cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any good book to understand stm32h745xih6 microcontroller?

Vijay Krishna
Associate II

Please try to be as detailed as possible as i just started to make sense out of the STM 32 discovery kit., I am a complete beginner...​

9 REPLIES 9

Generally the Reference Manual is pretty thorough..

The trick here would be to learn how to read and digest those as that's a universally applicable skill.

Perhaps what you're really looking for is some college level texts on CPU/MCU Architecture and Design, which would provide some contextual basis from which to understand the details.

Perhaps Hennessy, Patterson type text?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Yes, you are right but, I need something specific only on ARM PROCESSOR OR MICROCONTROLLER, Architecture from basic to advance...

Any help will be appreciated...​

Nikita91
Lead II

Personally I started a few years ago with this:

https://leanpub.com/mastering-stm32?utm_campaign=mastering-stm32&utm_medium=embed&utm_source=embedder

There is a free sample which was very useful to me before I bought the full book.

there are a lot of resources on the internet such as:

https://piconomix.com/px-fwlib/_s_t_m32__q_u_i_c_k__s_t_a_r_t__g_u_i_d_e.html

As I learnt most of this while in secondary school, I'm probably the least qualified to answer, and there Zaks and Leventhal were the authors of choice.

Joseph Yiu has a number of good books on the Cortex-Mx parts which provide a different presentation/perspective vs the Technical Reference Manuals.

Not sure he has one specifically on the M7, nor on the complex subject of multi-core and caching.

ST has "Programming Manuals", these lean more toward the core, and are akin to the ARM TRM

Geoff Brown's STM32, https://legacy.cs.indiana.edu/~geobrown/book.pdf

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Thank you very much for your answer, this​ will probably provide me some help and understanding...

KnarfB
Principal III

STM32H745 is quite a complex beast to start with. The dual-core architecture leads to a special project structure, code and features which are only relevant for multi-core MCUs. I would rather choose a simpler MCU/board for the beginning like a NUCLEO-STM32L432KC or similar. For understanding the Cortex-M core mechanics, I also recommend Joseph Yiu's books. For the peripheral interfaces: understanding just a single interface to its full extend can be a challenging task and requires a lot of programming, testing, and practicing in the lab. Yes, its all written in the Reference Manuals but those have no didactical value, except as a reference.

hth

KnarfB

On the other hand, understanding a single peripheral to it's full extent will show how things are done in general and that will help learn other peripherals and find bugs quicker.

Also totally agreed that Cortex-M7 is not appropriate for beginners. Therefore for learning purposes F7 is a bad choice, H7 is much worse and dual-core H7 is just terrible. Indeed one should choose something based on Cortex-M4.

Nikita91
Lead II

I agree with the M4.

But with a recent version like the G4 family. The F4 peripherals are a bit rustic: I2c, DMA ...

Those of the G4 are easier to use.

One more nucleo board is not a big investment to discover a world ...

I2C and DMA on G4 are the same as on L4. To me it seems that G4 is based on L4, plus packs more features and an improved silicon. Therefore indeed those series should be the preferred ones. NUCLEO-G474RE packs a bunch of analog peripherals and even has a high-resolution timer. To me it seems the best universal board for learning.