Associate II
Posted on October 05, 2008 at 10:22

IAR 5.20 and pre silicon rev Y

39 REPLIES 39
16-32micros
Associate III
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:44

Hi,

With a small delay, I would like to inform you that ST will release officially in the coming days an updated Errata-sheet with a dedicated section on ''Compatibility issue with latest compiler releases''.

This limitation concerns only rev B and rev Z of Medium-density (Access and Performance lines). {Hope this make things more clear for most of You}.

Cheers,

STOne-32.

jj
Associate II

Hi STOne-32-

One of your largest user blocks are those with IAR 5.20 - would you be so good as to provide expanded clarification for the Rev ''Y'' situation?

Further - does Rev ''Y'' represent the newest revision? Is it unreasonable for us to expect that the newest includes the most ''fixes/updates?''

My firm has been unable to get availability data on 500 pcs ea. of several versions of STM32F103 in the Rev ''Y'' package. This from large disty Avnet in US midwest. (we cannot sanction DK extreme price increase)

Our request has been ''in works'' for more than 3 weeks - suspect others may be encountering this uncertainty too...

lanchon
Associate III

> ST will release officially in the coming days an updated Errata-sheet

thanks for the advance notice.

16-32micros
Associate III

Hi,

As promised, New Errata published Today :

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/es/14574.pdf

Cheers,

STOne-32.

lanchon
Associate III

2.6 Compatibility issue with latest compiler releases

Description

Compilers with improved optimizations for the STM32F10xxx have been recently released on the market. Revisions Z and B of the medium-density STM32F10xxx devices (STM32F10xx8/B) do not support some of the sequences associated with the high-level optimizations done in these compilers. Revision Y is not affected by this limitation.

Workaround

This behavior is fully deterministic, and should be detected during firmware development or the validation phase. Consequently, systems already developed, validated and delivered to the field with previous silicon revisions are not affected.

For code update of revision Z and B devices already in the field, do not use these new compilers. To date, compilers known to generate these sequences are:

-IAR EWARM rev 5.20 and later

-GNU rev 4.2.3 and later

For new developments associated with these compilers, revision Y of the STM32F10xx8/B must be used.

so... still a secret, how boring.

lanchon
Associate III

''CodeSourcery has no additional information about this.''

http://www.codesourcery.com/archives/arm-gnu/msg02193.html

brunoalltest
Associate II

That´s very disappointing :-[

I´m still worried about the digikey's price increase. I really hope it don´t turn to be Rev Y general price.

I´m afraid that Rev Y has been totally re-engineered and ST is forwarding the devolepment costs.

jj
Associate II

The Rev ''Y'' guidance now extends beyond just IAR - tentacling out to include newer versions of GNU - thereby magnifying its impact. Further - it seems likely that competing tool-makers will ''adapt'' - thus making this list larger.

That said - Rev ''Y'' seems the safest & best choice - if not now surely for tomorrow.

Disty. Avnet has ''not'' provided delivery info for our pending purchase of 500 pcs of several STM32F103 ''Rev Y'' devices. Our request has been in process beyond 3 weeks. (US midwest) And we use ''both'' of the effected tool-chains - so now what?

16-32micros
Associate III

Hi sjo, all,

Yes it is codesourcery branch 4.2.3 and later.

As said in the workaround : This behavior is fully deterministic, and should be detected during firmware development or the validation phase. Consequently, systems already developed, validated and delivered to the field with previous silicon revisions (B and Z) are not affected.

Y samples are available since Early Q2/2008 at full production In ST and all our distributors are sampled since that time with Y samples.

Cheers,

STOne-32.

[ This message was edited by: STOne-32 on 03-10-2008 20:23 ]

jj
Associate II

The language, ''samples are available since Q2 at full production,'' may not be as clear as intended. If indeed - production of Rev ''Y'' has been proceeding for 90+ days - would it not be more normal to provide distributors with more than ''sample'' quantities?

I stand by my earlier report that a major US disty has not fully resolved the Rev ''Y'' issue - proved by their inability to provide P&D (price/delivery) thru today. (provided price but delivery remains silent)