cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm out before I even really got started...

capnhyaku
Associate

Hopefully someone at STE cares enough to take this honest feedback on board...

My project had to move from atmel to something with more performance.  I settled on STM32.

The experience has been terrible due to sub-optimal documentation from STE, relying heavily on 3rd parties to explain some stuff that STE should really be on top of.

The final straw has been discovering that I really can't just have a C++ project, without a bunch of back-flips.  The community seems to just accept this as some rite of passage and STE do nothing after years to improve the situation.

I can't think of anything worse than to try and make this work... when there are alternatives people have been suggesting to me after I discuss my frustrations.

2 REPLIES 2

I think ST assumes devs can use GNU/GCC, IAR, KEIL, PlatformIO or VS, or the tools of their choice. All these should be able to do C++ / .CPP files, although I would agree that ST's startup.s and newlibs heap allocator is just woeful. Arduino's is much cleaner. Isn't TouchGFX predominantly C++ ?

Getting ST to fix problems, or understand real-world usage of their tools is an uphill ski jumping event..

Over the years I've learned not to rely on third-parties to do my job, deliver what my boss wants, or explain to my boss why it's some third-parties fault something he wants isn't working. I'm paid to make IT happen, whatever IT is today..

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
TDK
Guru

> The final straw has been discovering that I really can't just have a C++ project, without a bunch of back-flips.

Create a cpp file, call it from main.c. Does that really count as a back flip? Generate code still works, no changes needed each time you generate the code.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".