cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get STM32f103c8t6 working with Windows 10 (No drivers it seems)?

IGama.2
Associate II

Hi, I'm completely new to MCU programming, and bought my very first unit stm32f103c8t6 from a local store. I read some glowing reviews about it and bought it as my first ever MCU because it was affordable. Boy am I regretting my decision now! :(

I can't even seem to get it connected with my PC. I'm using Windows 10 as I'm sure more than 75% of the world are. It seems there are no drivers for my OS. I tried the Windows 7 and Windows 8 drivers but they don't work.

When I plug in my stm32f103c8t6 with USB cable and micro USB port, it shows USB device is not recognized. There's clearly a driver missing.

I also bought a USB TTL adapter. I installed its drivers, and I connected using Vin, Gnd, Tx, Rx (A9, A10 pins) and tried to get it working. Used the Arduino IDE latest version like every instructional video says. The blink example seems to upload to the stm32f103c8t6 without issues, but the LED pc13 does not blink.

I tried searching everywhere for a solution, and all I found out is nothing. That's why I'm asking my question here. I don't want to buy anymore adapters or other physical items because my initial happiness about stm32f103c8t6 is already gone. What sort of a company doesn't develop drivers for Windows 10?? :(

I have a USB TTL (PL2303) adapter, several USB to micro USB cables, jumpers, breadboards, Resisters, Capacitors etc with me. I just want to try once more to somehow get my stm32f103c8t6 working, or just throw it away and buy an Arduino board.

So please let me know if there's a way to download some software, drivers, or connect my stm32f103c8t6 with the components I have somehow and get it working. I'm really not keeping high hopes here, so you can surprise me.

If it helps, here's the store link that I bought it from.

https://nilambaraelectronics.com/product/stm32f103c8t6-arm-stm32-minimum-system-development-board-module/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

1) Sure, but with BOOT0=HIGH the USB should present as a viable device.

2) Not using Arduino IDE in this context, but thought that really want it's own loader installed

4 thru 6) yes, if your user code implements the LED blinking at a human discernible rate, it should run in the micro-controller when BOOT0=LOW

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @IGama.2​, to the community!

Please don't give up, working with 32-bit MCUs is a little bit, but really just a tiny bit more complex than with 8-bit MCUs.

However, you bought what is called Blue Pill, hopefully with a real STM32F103 and not a fake one (many of them not being 100% compatible can be found on the market). Have you already found websites that introduce the Blue Pill board, like Electronicshub?

All what you need is the software environment, like the free of charge tools

Good luck!

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

For the Blue Pill board to connect via USB you'd need to jumper BOOT0 High, or have USB Device software loaded into the device

For uploaded code to run BOOT0 needs to be Low

The cable also has to be viable, USB charging cables, lacking data wires will also not work.

ST sell the NUCLEO series boards, these are perhaps better suited to beginners, as they include a built-in debugger and contain authentic parts.

Hi, don't you understand my question? This has NOTHING to do with working 8 or 32 bit. It simply doesn't have a driver for the OS that 75% of the World uses. (Windows 10).

Are you positive that the said two programs will do anything? Because as it stands, the PC doesn't even recognize what's plugged into the USB. I want to double check before installing some useless software that can't be uninstalled properly.

Is that so? Thank you so much. So there is still some hope!!:see_no_evil_monkey:

See, I didn't know that. So even if I use a Serial TTL connection (Vin, Gnd, Tx, Rx), should I move the jumper to run? Can you please explain me if these steps are correct or wrong then?

1. Connect the 4 jumpers (Vin, Gnd, and Tx, Rx to A9, A10) with Boot0 at High. (two pins that are farther from the Micro USB port)
  2. Upload the blink script using Arduino IDE.
  3. Disconnect the jumpers. (this is the step I'm not sure)
  4. Move the Boot0 to low. (two pins that are nearer to the Micro USB port)
  5. Provide power again, perhaps using just Vin and Gnd jumpers from the TTL module. (not sure here either)
  6. LED starts blinking??
  7. Or is there a step to press the reset button?

Is this how it's supposed to be done then? Or should I just move the Boot0 when all the 4 TTL jumper cables are connected? (If I touch some pins accidentally, wouldn't it short circuit or damage the board somehow? The Boot0 jumper on the board requires a lot of pull to reposition.)

If you or someone knowledgeable can accurately mention the steps, it will be great help. I'll wait for a reply before trying because I really don't want to damage my board if I can get it working. 😍 It's perfect if I can use USB cable only but at this rate, even the TTL thing is sufficient for me. Thanks sooooooooo much in advance once again.

Got a bit of a chicken/egg situation here, an STM32 with no software on it isn't going to respond or do anything.

In Boot mode (BOOT0=HIGH/ONE) the System Loader should be a "STM32 BOOT LOADER" type USB device provided the cabling, wiring and powering of the board design permit.

Installing tools like STM32 Cube Programmer should on-board sufficient drivers for Windows to find and associate with the device.

When you plug the device in you should get Microsoft's Ding-**** type response indicating a device has been attached.

Do you get that? Does Device Manager report the presence of the device, or an unknown device?

If you get no kind of response that suggests more of a cabling or electrical issue at a board level.

You should seek support from your vendor.

No, it shows as a non identified USB device. I get the Ding but the notification says USB device is unknown.

If STM32 Cube gives drivers that's amazing. I'll of course try that if so, however can you confirm it?

Also, if you could, please let me know if the procedure steps to do it is correct? (Asking again since you haven't replied to that)​

1. Connect the 4 jumpers (Vin, Gnd, and Tx, Rx to A9, A10) with Boot0 at High. (two pins that are farther from the Micro USB port)
  2. Upload the blink script using Arduino IDE.
  3. Disconnect the jumpers. (this is the step I'm not sure)
  4. Move the Boot0 to low. (two pins that are nearer to the Micro USB port)
  5. Provide power again, perhaps using just Vin and Gnd jumpers from the TTL module. (not sure here either)
  6. LED starts blinking??
  7. Or is there a step to press the reset button?

Is this how it's supposed to be done then? Or should I just move the Boot0 when all the 4 TTL jumper cables are connected? (If I touch some pins accidentally, wouldn't it short circuit or damage the board somehow? The Boot0 jumper on the board requires a lot of pull to reposition.)

If you or someone knowledgeable can accurately mention the steps, it will be great help. I'll wait for a reply before trying because I really don't want to damage my board if I can get it working. 😍 It's perfect if I can use USB cable only but at this rate, even the TTL thing is sufficient for me. Thanks sooooooooo much in advance once again.

1) Sure, but with BOOT0=HIGH the USB should present as a viable device.

2) Not using Arduino IDE in this context, but thought that really want it's own loader installed

4 thru 6) yes, if your user code implements the LED blinking at a human discernible rate, it should run in the micro-controller when BOOT0=LOW

Oh my god it worked. 😍

https://vimeo.com/581292500

@Community member​ Wish I could kiss you right now. I had all hope lost, now I can finally start believing.

Thank you a billion billion times. May everything you ever dream come true!!�?��?�?��?�?��?�?��?�?��?�?��?�?��?�?��?

Hey IGama

I am also facing the same problem , my STM32F1038t6 is not connecting to win10

computer,I did try with 32cubeprogrammer, vsc but nothing is working. In my STM

103c8t6 does not have any jumper.Please help. Thanks lot.