cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to: 32F4 Cortex-M4(F) Lazy Stacking and Context Switching

Robmar
Senior III

There must be a function to save the FPU context of the 32F4 but after an hour searching all I see is 11 years of people asking for clarification on how to do this, and nice looking technical papers none of which list more than a couple of lines of ASM that are far from complete!

Is there a function in CMSIS or other library, of sample code that does this?

6 REPLIES 6
AScha.3
Chief II

processor executes the VSTM instruction (also known as the Floating-point Store Multiple)

https://developer.arm.com/documentation/dai0298/a

diy in asm:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38614776/cortex-m4f-lazy-fpu-stacking

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
gbm
Lead III

Looking at FreeRTOS port.c module may also be useful.

Saw that one, though helps, it requires investigation, testing, maybe some research.

So he runs the asm to read FPCAR and trigger a bus fault, guess he uses a flag so that his code in the bus fault handler knows to save the context, and hopefully voila!

That simple?

Saw that one too, but thanks. It also needs a bit of research to know how to add that code, use it, test it, etc.,

This is such an important and necessary functions I am amazed that Arm, STM or CMSIS don't have a near function rolled out for users to just use.

AScha.3
Chief II

>This is such an important and necessary functions

shure, but most people do no more asm and write a task switcher in asm;

so in "C" (or c++ ) the compiler +optimizer should do the best code , without user inserting some asm instructions.

same when using rtos, task switching should work , even user knows nothing about VSTM . 🙂

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Robmar
Senior III

So no code snipped to save and restore the FPU state?

After a decade no one at STM thought to post this code?

I read that by reading from the FPU registers a bus fault is generated, so we have to the process the save/restore from the error handler. Its a bit messy really, and having to wade through RTOS code to extract their handler shouldn't be necessary if STM had their act together.

Hey, yes, its a criticism.