cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi everyone, I want to help for selecting STM32 Micro-controller for my application(Ultra Low Power)

dkumar
Associate II

1. Hardware requirement

I/O - Minimum 12

SPI, I2C, UART, WDT, ADC

2. MEMORY NEEDS

MINI 32K FLASH & 4K RAM

3. Ultra low power & Power Mode

power down current < 1 uA

I/O Pin to retain it's state

Package :- LQFP

Free software libraries and examples available with the STM32Cube MCU Package.

I can easily interface with any sensors and I can do any other development easily.

Available on STM32CubeMX and Also compatible with Arduino.

So Please Help me to selecting a perfect STM32 MC, According to my requirement, which STM32 Micro-controller is good for me?

5 REPLIES 5
Bouraoui Chemli
ST Employee

I suggest to use Ultra-low-power MCUs series STM32L4+ or STM32L5 . Also, you can refer to the provided firmware example STM32CubeL4 or STM32CubeL5.

Thanks Bouraoui Chemli,

But, I don't want a big and costly Micro-controller.

I want a small and cheapest STM32 Micro-controller, which one fulfills my requirement and also good availability.

Because, want to use for bulk production.

Danish1
Lead II

So what you're saying is that you want the cheapest one you can get that will do the job.

Cheapest one? Look at your preferred distributor for their price-breaks.

That you can get? Here's what might be your biggest problem. There is a worldwide shortage of chips, and I suspect that some unscrupulous "distributors" are hoarding available stock to get the best price. Where we can, we've tried to get stock for what we suspect we will need for this year's sales, but it only makes the shortage worse for everyone else.

Will do the job? Your requirements are fairly easy to throw into a selection table. But things do get complicated. For example how many independent SPI, U(s)ART, I2C do you want? (SPI and I2C are much easier to share than UART). Do you want the UART handshaking lines (CTS, RTS)? It is only when you actually look at the individual device - either the data-sheet or with stm32cube that you realise that (say) one of the UARTs shares its pins with an I2C, so you need to drop that UART and use another. And only after building the prototype and writing the software will you actually *know* a particular microcontroller can do the job you want.

And let's have another look at "lowest cost". Even when you get into making tens of thousands of units, development costs (particularly software) are a significant chunk of the price per unit. So a slightly-more-powerful microcontroller where the code can easily fit might work out cheaper than one where you have to strain every last sinew to get things to fit into available RAM and FLASH. It will be on the market sooner, so you'll be picking up sales that otherwise go to your competitor. And watch out for your own marketing department insisting that extra features are needed during testing or just before release.

Arduino compatibility? That's something I'm not too sure about. Do you mean one where you can plug in arduino hats (or whatever they're called)? Will you write your own code for those hats, or need to use what's readily available on the internet? Even stm32 nucleo boards that have arduino connectors need you to write your own code.

The stm32L0 and L4 are good low-power platforms (L4 where you need more processing power). And the stm32G family are advertised for low-cost applications. Cost / power-efficiency compromise? Down to you.

Hope this helps guide your thought processes, even if it does not attempt to answer your question,

Danish

Bouraoui Chemli
ST Employee

Try to use MCU finder: ST-MCU-FINDER-PC. It is an easy way to find MCU or development board that fits your application.

PMath.4
Senior III

" power down current < 1 uA

I/O Pin to retain it's state "

If you mean the pin must stay in its set state during power down then this likely impossible. If the pin is sinking or sourcing current then unless your load is less than 3.3/1e-6 = 3M3 ohms the pin will use your full uA. If you mean the pin should return to its previous state on power back up then OK

In terms of uP look at STM32L031 and STM32L041