cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HAL_ERROR calling HAL_TIM_PWM_Start_DMA to generate variable duty cycle PWM

WBach
Associate II

Hello,

i am trying to generate a fixed 800kHz PWM signal with variable duty cycle on a STM32F446RE (Nucleo-446RE). As you already might have suspected, i am intending to drive WS2812B LEDs.

For this I intend to let TIM1 run at 800kHz and have TIM_CH1 running in PWM-Mode1 outputting to CH1-Pin. Doing just this works, I get a appropriate PWM signals. But now I also have to change the duty cycle every cycle/bit.

I intend to do this with DMA. A Memory to Peripheral Request putting values from a buffer in memory into the OCR1 Register of TIM1 should alter the duty cycle. This request should be triggered by TIM1 overflowing; TIM1_UP should trigger the request.

However, testing this basic concept fails and I tried to get this working for a long time now.

To realise this concept (which is valid or isn't it?) I used the STM32CubeIDE with STM32CubeMX.

In CubeMX I configured TIM1 to be clocked at around 800kHz by setting no prescaler, a Counter Period of 225, setting Channel1 to PWM_Generation_CH1 with PWM_Mode_1.

For DMA I added a request triggered by TIM1_UP from Memory to Peripheral with a data width of half_word.

The CubeMX settings are also visible in the pictures of it:

0693W000003BfWlQAK.png

0693W000003BfVaQAK.png

To now enable DMA actually putting values from a buffer in the CCR1 register to alter the duty cycle, I looked at the HAL Documentation and tried using the function:

HAL_StatusTypeDef HAL_TIM_PWM_Start_DMA (TIM_HandleTypeDef * htim, uint32_t Channel, uint32_t * pData, uint16_t Length)

, since its description "Starts the TIM PWM signal generation in DMA mode." and its arguments seem to be just what I'm looking for.

However, when actually executing it by calling

HAL_TIM_PWM_Start_DMA(&htim1, TIM_CHANNEL_1, data, 1);

it returns HAL_ERROR and well, the CCR1 value doesn't get updated.

I tried to troubleshoot it but kind of reached an impass.

I traced the origin of the return value HAL_ERROR:

HAL_TIM_PWM_Start_DMA is calling HAL_DMA_Start_IT.

If HAL_DMA_Start_IT doesn't return HAL_OK, HAL_TIM_PWM_Start_DMA returns HAL_ERROR.

In my case, HAL_DMA_Start_IT returns HAL_BUSY. This is due to its hdma->State not being HAL_DMA_STATE_READY.

I checked and instead of that, hdma->State is HAL_DMA_STATE_RESET.

So, htim1.hdma[1].State is HAL_DMA_STATE_RESET, when calling HAL_TIM_PWM_Start_DMA; In HAL_TIM_PWM_Start_DMA htim1.hdma[1] is passed to HAL_DMA_Start_IT as the argument hdma.

The described tracing above is also visible through the source of these functions and the attached image of the debugged TypeDef values:

HAL_StatusTypeDef HAL_TIM_PWM_Start_DMA(TIM_HandleTypeDef *htim, uint32_t Channel, uint32_t *pData, uint16_t Length)
{
  uint32_t tmpsmcr;

/* Check the parameters */
  assert_param(IS_TIM_CCX_INSTANCE(htim->Instance, Channel));

if (htim->State == HAL_TIM_STATE_BUSY)
  {
    return HAL_BUSY;
  }
  else if (htim->State == HAL_TIM_STATE_READY)
  {
    if ((pData == NULL) && (Length > 0U))
    {
      return HAL_ERROR;
    }
    else
    {
      htim->State = HAL_TIM_STATE_BUSY;
    }
  }
  else
  {
    /* nothing to do */
  }

switch (Channel)
  {
    case TIM_CHANNEL_1:
    {
      /* Set the DMA compare callbacks */
      htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC1]->XferCpltCallback = TIM_DMADelayPulseCplt;
      htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC1]->XferHalfCpltCallback = TIM_DMADelayPulseHalfCplt;

/* Set the DMA error callback */
      htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC1]->XferErrorCallback = TIM_DMAError ;

/* Enable the DMA stream */
      if (HAL_DMA_Start_IT(htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC1], (uint32_t)pData, (uint32_t)&htim->Instance->CCR1, Length) != HAL_OK)
      {
        return HAL_ERROR;
      }

/* Enable the TIM Capture/Compare 1 DMA request */
      __HAL_TIM_ENABLE_DMA(htim, TIM_DMA_CC1);
      break;
    }

case TIM_CHANNEL_2:
    {
      htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC2]->XferCpltCallback = TIM_DMADelayPulseCplt;
      htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC2]->XferHalfCpltCallback = TIM_DMADelayPulseHalfCplt;

htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC2]->XferErrorCallback = TIM_DMAError ;

if (HAL_DMA_Start_IT(htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC2], (uint32_t)pData, (uint32_t)&htim->Instance->CCR2, Length) != HAL_OK)
      {
        return HAL_ERROR;
      }
      /* Enable the TIM Capture/Compare 2 DMA request */
      __HAL_TIM_ENABLE_DMA(htim, TIM_DMA_CC2);
      break;
    }

case TIM_CHANNEL_3:
    {
      htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC3]->XferCpltCallback = TIM_DMADelayPulseCplt;
      htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC3]->XferHalfCpltCallback = TIM_DMADelayPulseHalfCplt;

htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC3]->XferErrorCallback = TIM_DMAError ;

if (HAL_DMA_Start_IT(htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC3], (uint32_t)pData, (uint32_t)&htim->Instance->CCR3, Length) != HAL_OK)
      {
        return HAL_ERROR;
      }
      /* Enable the TIM Output Capture/Compare 3 request */
      __HAL_TIM_ENABLE_DMA(htim, TIM_DMA_CC3);
      break;
    }

case TIM_CHANNEL_4:
    {
      htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC4]->XferCpltCallback = TIM_DMADelayPulseCplt;
      htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC4]->XferHalfCpltCallback = TIM_DMADelayPulseHalfCplt;

htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC4]->XferErrorCallback = TIM_DMAError ;

if (HAL_DMA_Start_IT(htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC4], (uint32_t)pData, (uint32_t)&htim->Instance->CCR4, Length) != HAL_OK)
      {
        return HAL_ERROR;
      }
      /* Enable the TIM Capture/Compare 4 DMA request */
      __HAL_TIM_ENABLE_DMA(htim, TIM_DMA_CC4);
      break;
    }

default:
      break;
  }

/* Enable the Capture compare channel */
  TIM_CCxChannelCmd(htim->Instance, Channel, TIM_CCx_ENABLE);

if (IS_TIM_BREAK_INSTANCE(htim->Instance) != RESET)
  {
    /* Enable the main output */
    __HAL_TIM_MOE_ENABLE(htim);
  }

/* Enable the Peripheral, except in trigger mode where enable is automatically done with trigger */
  tmpsmcr = htim->Instance->SMCR & TIM_SMCR_SMS;
  if (!IS_TIM_SLAVEMODE_TRIGGER_ENABLED(tmpsmcr))
  {
    __HAL_TIM_ENABLE(htim);
  }

/* Return function status */
  return HAL_OK;
}
HAL_StatusTypeDef HAL_DMA_Start_IT(DMA_HandleTypeDef *hdma, uint32_t SrcAddress, uint32_t DstAddress, uint32_t DataLength)
{
  HAL_StatusTypeDef status = HAL_OK;

/* calculate DMA base and stream number */
  DMA_Base_Registers *regs = (DMA_Base_Registers *)hdma->StreamBaseAddress;

assert_param(IS_DMA_BUFFER_SIZE(DataLength));

/* Process locked */
  __HAL_LOCK(hdma);

if(HAL_DMA_STATE_READY == hdma->State)
  {
    /* Change DMA peripheral state */
    hdma->State = HAL_DMA_STATE_BUSY;

/* Initialize the error code */
    hdma->ErrorCode = HAL_DMA_ERROR_NONE;

/* Configure the source, destination address and the data length */
    DMA_SetConfig(hdma, SrcAddress, DstAddress, DataLength);

/* Clear all interrupt flags at correct offset within the register */
    regs->IFCR = 0x3FU << hdma->StreamIndex;

/* Enable Common interrupts*/
    hdma->Instance->CR  |= DMA_IT_TC | DMA_IT_TE | DMA_IT_DME;

if(hdma->XferHalfCpltCallback != NULL)
    {
      hdma->Instance->CR  |= DMA_IT_HT;
    }

/* Enable the Peripheral */
    __HAL_DMA_ENABLE(hdma);
  }
  else
  {
    /* Process unlocked */
    __HAL_UNLOCK(hdma);	  

/* Return error status */
    status = HAL_BUSY;
  }

return status;
}

0693W000003BfWgQAK.png

I tried to figure out, why htim1.hdma[1].State is stuck on HAL_DMA_STATE_RESET and what might be wrong or missing, tried also different functions like HAL_TIM_OC_Start_DMA or HAL_TIM_DMABurst_WriteStart.

HAL_TIM_DMABurst_WriteStart actually transferred a value from the buffer to the OCR1 register but only once, since it apparently requires HAL_TIM_DMABurst_WriteStop to be called after each / before the next transaction, which makes the usage of DMA in this case kind of pointless, since it would be less processing effort to just set the values of OCR1 with interrupts at 800kHz.

I also tried to call HAL_TIM_Base_Start_DMA, or HAL_TIM_Base_Start, or HAL_TIM_PWM_Start, or a combination of those before calling HAL_TIM_PWM_Start_DMA, but that didn't help.

I would like to include my main.c but then the post would be to long... The whole project is attached as a zip file.

I tried my best to describe the problem and display my troubleshooting information, i hope it is understandable.

Do you know what I am missing or doing wrong?

18 REPLIES 18

I think this is not the cause of the problem because the cause of the problem is the State HAL_DMA_STATE_RESET and not HAL_BUSY (the root cause). Or do you think I am wrong with this?

WBach
Associate II

I also looked at it, while it is not quite the same when it comes to stuff like Circular Mode or Data Width the instance related stuff seems very similar. However, I cannot really judge that because I have only limited experience with the HAL.

I have spotted something different by analyzing the source code of the HAL... I'll check if it is the solution and report back.

EDIT: Ok seems to not be the solution... In the Header stm32f4xx_hal_tim.h there are these definitions:

#define TIM_DMA_ID_UPDATE                ((uint16_t) 0x0000)       /*!< Index of the DMA handle used for Update DMA requests */
#define TIM_DMA_ID_CC1                   ((uint16_t) 0x0001)       /*!< Index of the DMA handle used for Capture/Compare 1 DMA requests */
#define TIM_DMA_ID_CC2                   ((uint16_t) 0x0002)       /*!< Index of the DMA handle used for Capture/Compare 2 DMA requests */
#define TIM_DMA_ID_CC3                   ((uint16_t) 0x0003)       /*!< Index of the DMA handle used for Capture/Compare 3 DMA requests */
#define TIM_DMA_ID_CC4                   ((uint16_t) 0x0004)       /*!< Index of the DMA handle used for Capture/Compare 4 DMA requests */
#define TIM_DMA_ID_COMMUTATION           ((uint16_t) 0x0005)       /*!< Index of the DMA handle used for Commutation DMA requests */
#define TIM_DMA_ID_TRIGGER               ((uint16_t) 0x0006)       /*!< Index of the DMA handle used for Trigger DMA requests */

When chosing TIM1_UP in CubeMX, htim.hdma[1] is not initialized (htim.hdma[0].State is HAL_DMA_STATE_RESET), while htim.hdma[0].State is HAL_DMA_STATE_READY. So when selecting TIM1_UP, htim.hdma[0] is initialized.

The array positions of 0 and 1 correspond directly to these defintions, this is apparent by the source code of HAL_TIM_Encoder_Start_DMA, more specifically the switch statement:

HAL_StatusTypeDef HAL_TIM_Encoder_Start_DMA(TIM_HandleTypeDef *htim, uint32_t Channel, uint32_t *pData1,
                                            uint32_t *pData2, uint16_t Length)
{
  assert_param(IS_TIM_DMA_CC_INSTANCE(htim->Instance));

if (htim->State == HAL_TIM_STATE_BUSY)
  {
    return HAL_BUSY;
  }
  else if (htim->State == HAL_TIM_STATE_READY)
  {
    if ((((pData1 == NULL) || (pData2 == NULL))) && (Length > 0U))
    {
      return HAL_ERROR;
    }
    else
    {
      htim->State = HAL_TIM_STATE_BUSY;
    }
  }
  else
  {
    /* nothing to do */
  }

switch (Channel)
  {
    case TIM_CHANNEL_1:
    {
      /* Set the DMA capture callbacks */
      htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC1]->XferCpltCallback = TIM_DMACaptureCplt;
      htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC1]->XferHalfCpltCallback = TIM_DMACaptureHalfCplt;

if (HAL_DMA_Start_IT(htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC1], (uint32_t)&htim->Instance->CCR1, (uint32_t)pData1, Length) != HAL_OK)
      {
        return HAL_ERROR;
      }
      /* Enable the TIM Input Capture DMA request */

__HAL_TIM_ENABLE(htim);

TIM_CCxChannelCmd(htim->Instance, TIM_CHANNEL_1, TIM_CCx_ENABLE);
      break;
    }

case TIM_CHANNEL_2:
    {
      htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC2]->XferCpltCallback = TIM_DMACaptureCplt;
      htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC2]->XferHalfCpltCallback = TIM_DMACaptureHalfCplt;

htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC2]->XferErrorCallback = TIM_DMAError;
      if (HAL_DMA_Start_IT(htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC2], (uint32_t)&htim->Instance->CCR2, (uint32_t)pData2, Length) != HAL_OK)
      {
        return HAL_ERROR;
      }
      /* Enable the TIM Input Capture  DMA request */

__HAL_TIM_ENABLE(htim);

TIM_CCxChannelCmd(htim->Instance, TIM_CHANNEL_2, TIM_CCx_ENABLE);
      break;
    }

case TIM_CHANNEL_ALL:
    {
      htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC1]->XferCpltCallback = TIM_DMACaptureCplt;
      htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC1]->XferHalfCpltCallback = TIM_DMACaptureHalfCplt;

if (HAL_DMA_Start_IT(htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC1], (uint32_t)&htim->Instance->CCR1, (uint32_t)pData1, Length) != HAL_OK)
      {
        return HAL_ERROR;
      }

htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC2]->XferCpltCallback = TIM_DMACaptureCplt;
      htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC2]->XferHalfCpltCallback = TIM_DMACaptureHalfCplt;

htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC2]->XferErrorCallback = TIM_DMAError ;

if (HAL_DMA_Start_IT(htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_CC2], (uint32_t)&htim->Instance->CCR2, (uint32_t)pData2, Length) != HAL_OK)
      {
        return HAL_ERROR;
      }
      __HAL_TIM_ENABLE(htim);

TIM_CCxChannelCmd(htim->Instance, TIM_CHANNEL_1, TIM_CCx_ENABLE);
      TIM_CCxChannelCmd(htim->Instance, TIM_CHANNEL_2, TIM_CCx_ENABLE);

break;
    }

default:
      break;
  }
  /* Return function status */
  return HAL_OK;
}

So I guess I am not supposed to use TIM1_UP in CubeMX with HAL_TIM_Encoder_Start_DMA.

So I searched for TIM_DMA_ID_UPDATE, which kind of equals selecting TIM1_UP, in stm32f4xx_hal_tim.c and found it as an valid option in the functions HAL_TIM_DMABurst_WriteStart/Stop and HAL_TIM_Base_Start_DMA.

As I already wrote, HAL_TIM_DMABurst_WriteStart/Stop is pointless for my application but I will check, what exactly HAL_TIM_Base_Start_DMA does...

Any thoughts on these results?

EDIT2: Yeah, the preload feature would seem to work here, however I would really like to figure this error out, since the preload solution is kind of a workaround and not a genuine solution.

Ok I took a look at HAL_TIM_Base_Start_DMA... And it does not seem to be the solution. In its Source there's:

if (HAL_DMA_Start_IT(htim->hdma[TIM_DMA_ID_UPDATE], (uint32_t)pData, (uint32_t)&htim->Instance->ARR, Length) != HAL_OK)
  {
    return HAL_ERROR;
  }

So it seems to be triggered by what I want, which then also calls the hdma, which is initialized but the third argument shows it modifies the Auto Reload Register, which is not what I am aiming for. I am seriously considering just modifying this source to also enable different addresses for this argument, in case it doesn't need a call to HAL_TIM_Base_Stop_DMA for each transfer...

Any thoughts on that?

Ok now I tried modifying the HAL_TIM_Base_Start_DMA Source to use the CCR1 register instead, which kind of works... However, I have to check Increment Address with Peripheral and turn it off with Memory in CubeMX, which kind of does not make sense, because the buffer address should and is incremented.

However, this solution is a even more sketchy workaround...

Is it just me or is the HAL being a little stupid for my application or am I missing some error of mine?

Fishmaster257
Associate III

Did you make it work? I am trying to do something similar but with the SK6812 LEDs using this guide:

https://www.thevfdcollective.com/blog/stm32-and-sk6812-rgbw-led

I had success with the guide using a STM32L433CCT but now have to switch to a STM32F469l-DISCO, however the DMA works differently on SMT32F4, I tried to find a work around but wasn't succesfull at all...

Start a new thread, stating what the problem is, what are the observed symptoms and how do they fail short of expectations. Give enough details. Point to this thread if you think it's relevant.

JW

Hey Bach

I seem to be running into a similar error when configuring timer2 of an F205RG to update period and multiple pulse values(ARR, CCR1, CCR2). I too run into the issue of the DMA state not being configured correctly and staying at HAL_DMA_STATE_RESET. In my case teh following function is generated by cubeMX and called.

HAL_StatusTypeDef HAL_DMA_Init(DMA_HandleTypeDef *hdma)

I get through the whole initialization with seemingly no issues(take this with a grain of salt im still pretty new to STM32 and HAL) and end up configuring the hdma handle hdma_tim2_up_ch3. In this handle the state is set correctly and gets linked to hdma[0] and hdma[3]. When looking through HAL_TIM_PWM_START_DMA() it seems

that its designed to only activate the CCx DMA channels and as a result it wouldnt be useful to me. As i wanna update the TIM register values on an update event i think starting the DMA seperately using HAL_DMA_Start() might be the correct approach though my initial attempt was unsuccesful. If youve gotten any further with your roject please let me know id love to get this working for the both of us.

MStee.1
Associate II

Used this thread to reorganize my thoughts about it and git it working. Heres my quick and general cookbook on it.

• init timer and DMA(Remember to select the correct DMA type in CubeMX)
  • Call HAL_DMA_Start() with your parameters if you arent using capture/compare DMA requests.
  • Start your timer using your regular start function or if youre using CC DMA requests you can use the _DMA version of your timer start command.

• OBS: if you didnt know the DMA handles are placed as a subset of htim. There are 10 of the corrosponding to each DMA channel.
  • OBS: if you dont know what channel the dma is using check the bottom of the HAL_TIM_Base_MspInit() function. One of the linked channels is the one you want to be using (in my case TIM_DMA_ID_UPDATE aka channel 0)
  • OBS: HAL_DMA_Start() expects datalength to be the number of elements in your buffer NOT the number of bytes.
  • OBS: If (like me) Youre writing to registers with reservered registers inbetween remember to account for them when setting TIM_DCR_DBL and TIM_DCR_DBA. As an example if you wanna write to ARR, CCR1 and CCR2 youd set TIM_DCR_DBL as (4 - 1) shifted into position and youd set TIM_DCR_DBA to (0x2C/0x04) where 0x2C is the adress for ARR (The first in the sequence) and 0x04 is the address spacing between registers.
    • Furthermore remember to size your buffer properly and remember theres a reserverd register in the middle. In the above case the register values would be places in the buffer as follows
uint32_t buffer[4] = {ARR_Val, 0, CCR1_Val, CCR2_Val};

These where the major hurdles i had. Ill add to it if i remember something else important later. Feel free to ask for details if you need it ill try my best to lend a hand like Bach did to me.

Best regards, Malte

JBond.1
Senior