cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time User

jprevard
Associate II
Posted on February 04, 2014 at 05:54

I am using a STM32F303 Discovery board and am not really sure where to start. I am attempting to use EWARM and ST-Link Utility together. Never having downloaded code to anything more complex than Arduino, etc., I am a little lost.

To simplify this post allow me to just list a few q's and comments:

ST-Link Utility: ''No Target Connected'' (nothing ST related in device mgr)

Can EWARM ''Program'' code to my board? (assuming ''no'' but still not sure)

LD2 blinks ON/OFF during pre-loaded demo prgm (never did this before)

EWARM is my toolchain, what does that mean? (i.e. what is a toolchain exactly?)

I feel like I should use EWARM to create projects and ST-Link Utility to ''Program'' the board. Do I understand the general procedure correctly?

Sorry to be the newb

Thanks in advance

See Attachment

15 REPLIES 15
jprevard
Associate II
Posted on February 08, 2014 at 07:04

I don't see anything show up (I looked especially close in the USB Controllers section). I have tried the board on my desktop, my Macbook (and its virtual machine - Win7), and my friend's laptop running Windows 7. I never like to blame new hardware, especially because that's usually not the problem. So I still feel like it's something I'm doing wrong. I tried the USB USER port just to check if it would show up but it did not.

Also, I went through the code to try to find the error associated with the blinking LD2 to no avail. All the other LEDs are named LED3, LED4, etc. but there is no LED2, or LD2. I'm not sure if the blinking LD2 is associated with the board not being recognized.

There were many times when I first got the board that the program ran normally without the blinking LD2, but I was looking for it under Ports and not under USB Controllers so I cannot be sure that it was or was not recognized during those times.
chen
Associate II
Posted on February 10, 2014 at 10:27

Hi

''Also, I went through the code to try to find the error associated with the blinking LD2 to no avail.''

LD2 is to indicate USB connection/activity. Nothing to worry about.

I am sure you have probably looked at this :

http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/active/en/resource/technical/document/user_manual/DM00062662.pdf

Please follow the instructions in this PDF.

Have you tried both USB connections on the board?

Are the links for the ST-Link in place?

It is sounding like the board may be defective. You may have to get a replacement.

chen
Associate II
Posted on February 10, 2014 at 11:03

Hi Justin

I just had a revelation - Try a different USB cable!

jprevard
Associate II
Posted on February 11, 2014 at 23:11

wow, this forum is truly difficult to post in...from mobile devices anyway

So I am thinking maybe it's the jumpers (is that what you meant by ''links for ST-Link''?). I have used that PDF you posted since the start of this journey.

The color picture of the physical board in that PDF seems to show pins placed in the TX and RX connector pads which as best I can tell is also JP4. However, if you look closely at the schematic (page 32 of the link provided below) it shows them as ''Not Fitted.'' Could it be that by ''Not Fitted'' they mean they do not supply the plastic jumper but the pins should be there? Not likely, but possible. (to clarify, my board does not have pins in TX or RX)

I am tempted to try to connect/jump TX and RX to see if that fixes things. The directions in the PDF you posted say ''Check jumper position on the board, JP4 on, CN4 on (Discover selected).'' So if JP4 is TX and RX then it would make sense that they should be connected. But there is no jumper provided to do so which makes me wonder.

Schematic found here:

http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/active/jp/resource/technical/document/user_manual/DM00063382.pdf

Thanks

jprevard
Associate II
Posted on February 12, 2014 at 08:51

Board is recognized. Not sure what fixed it. Possibly jumping TX and RX, possibly a new USB cable. I will try to let you know if I figure it out. Thanks for all the help!

jprevard
Associate II
Posted on February 12, 2014 at 18:58

K I'm becoming convinced it was the USB cable. Anyone have some idea why the user guide calls for JP4 to be ''on'' when the schematic shows it as ''Not Fitted''?