cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FDCAN TX fails about half of the time (HAL)

Krippkrupp
Associate II

Hello,

I've set up FDCAN on my STM32H753. I'm reading the transmissions using both an oscilloscope and an Analog Discovery 2.

I'm currently debuggning a loop which transmits the same message over and over again.

About half of the times I only get the SOF-bit and then nothing more, the other times I get the full correct message.

0693W00000Svdc5QAB.jpg0693W00000SvdcAQAR.jpgThe second image, is the one with the correct result. I transmit the same message each time but still get different results.

When I get the wrong result when transmitting, HAL_FDCAN_EnableTxBufferRequest(&hfdcan1, FDCAN_TX_BUFFER0) still return HAL_OK

This is the way that I add the message to the buffer and how I transmit.

CAN_RESULT = HAL_FDCAN_AddMessageToTxBuffer(&hfdcan1, &TxHeader, TxMsg, FDCAN_TX_BUFFER0);
CAN_RESULT = HAL_FDCAN_EnableTxBufferRequest(&hfdcan1, FDCAN_TX_BUFFER0);

When looking at the SFR FDCAN1 I notice that..

FDCAN_TXBCF.CF= 0x01 - TX Buffer Cancellation Finished

FDCAN_TXBTO.TO = 0x00 - TX Buffer Transmission Occured

According to the datasheet this means "Arbitration loss of frame transmission disturbed"

Both registers are set to those values even on a successful transmission.

From the datasheet: The corresponding FDCAN_TXBCF bit is set for all unsuccessful transmissions.

I've also noticed that the FDCAN Error Counter register, FDCAN_ECR, changes on a successful transmission.

FDCAN_ECR.CEL=0x04 (was 0x03 prior to successful TX) - CAN Error Logging

FDCAN_ECR.TEC = 0x20 (was 0x18 prior to successful TX) - Transmit Error Counter

I can't find a pattern between when I get a successful transmit and when I only get a SOF-bit, it seems to be random.

(This was written 1 hour later than above)

Suddenly I can't get any correct transmissions any longer. I.e. I only get the SOF-bit. Nothing in the code has been changed, no settings has been changed either. Double and tripled checked the wires - all looks good.

I guess this could have something to do with it. However I can't really figure out what the issue is.

FDCAN_PSR.LEC = 0x05 - Protocol Status Register Last Error Code

From datasheet: LEC=0x05 Bit0Error: During the transmission of a message (or acknowledge bit, or active error flag, or overload flag), the device wanted to send a dominant level (data or identifier bit logical value 0), but the monitored bus value was recessive. During Bus_Off recovery this status is set each time a sequence of 11 recessive bits has been monitored. This enables the CPU to monitor the proceeding of the Bus_Off recovery

Below is my FDCAN settings

static void MX_FDCAN1_Init(void)
{
/* USER CODE END FDCAN1_Init 1 */
  hfdcan1.Instance = FDCAN1;
  hfdcan1.Init.FrameFormat = FDCAN_FRAME_CLASSIC;
  hfdcan1.Init.Mode = FDCAN_MODE_NORMAL;
//  hfdcan1.Init.AutoRetransmission = ENABLE;
  hfdcan1.Init.AutoRetransmission = DISABLE;
  hfdcan1.Init.TransmitPause = DISABLE;
  hfdcan1.Init.ProtocolException = DISABLE;
  hfdcan1.Init.NominalPrescaler = 10;
  hfdcan1.Init.NominalSyncJumpWidth = 1;
  hfdcan1.Init.NominalTimeSeg1 = 7;
  hfdcan1.Init.NominalTimeSeg2 = 2;
  hfdcan1.Init.DataPrescaler = 10;
  hfdcan1.Init.DataSyncJumpWidth = 1;
  hfdcan1.Init.DataTimeSeg1 = 6;
  hfdcan1.Init.DataTimeSeg2 = 1;
  hfdcan1.Init.MessageRAMOffset = 0;
  hfdcan1.Init.StdFiltersNbr = 0;
  hfdcan1.Init.ExtFiltersNbr = 0;
  hfdcan1.Init.RxFifo0ElmtsNbr = 2;
  hfdcan1.Init.RxFifo0ElmtSize = FDCAN_DATA_BYTES_8;
  hfdcan1.Init.RxFifo1ElmtsNbr = 2;
  hfdcan1.Init.RxFifo1ElmtSize = FDCAN_DATA_BYTES_8;
  hfdcan1.Init.RxBuffersNbr = 2;
  hfdcan1.Init.RxBufferSize = FDCAN_DATA_BYTES_8;
  hfdcan1.Init.TxEventsNbr = 0;
  hfdcan1.Init.TxBuffersNbr = 2;
  hfdcan1.Init.TxFifoQueueElmtsNbr = 2;
  hfdcan1.Init.TxFifoQueueMode = FDCAN_TX_FIFO_OPERATION;
  hfdcan1.Init.TxElmtSize = FDCAN_DATA_BYTES_8;
  if (HAL_FDCAN_Init(&hfdcan1) != HAL_OK)
  {
    Error_Handler();
  }
}

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thank you in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
AScha.3
Chief II

looks like a hardware problem.

your transmission line ... how long? termination ? what is target/receiver ? speed (125kb) ?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Thank you for your reply.

I have CANTx & CANRx wired directly an Analog Discovery 2, which I use to read the protocol. I also look at the Tx-signal via an oscilloscope.

The target/receiver is an MCP2551 but I've removed the wires to the receiver, as there were numerous issues and I wanted to nail down origin of the issue.

The speed is 100 kHz. I've tried lowering it as well. It does annoy me quite a bit that I'm not able to get a single successful transmit anylonger. No idea why, I changed nothing in the software nor the hardware.

For the past 6 hours I think that I've gotten one successful Tx, the rest of them is just 1 SOF-bit and then nothing.

There's no notable noise on the lines either

Ghofrane GSOURI
ST Employee

Hi @Krippkrupp​ 

I can propose 2 points to check :

• try to add 2 *120ohm for the terminal CAN nodes on the bus =>this is used to reduce signal reflection on the CAN bus
  • try also to add 2 * 01uF ceramic capacitor (non polarized capacitor)=> which is used for filtering any potential noise on the VDD signal to the ground

Please take a look to the file below it's a schematic that could helps you .

Also if it possible can you provide your file.ioc in order to reproduce the issue with your exact configuration

Ghofrane GSOURI
ST Employee

Hi @Krippkrupp​ 

Try to check your  FDCAN settings using a third party online tool like the Kvaser

this is the link please have a look :

Bit Timing Calculator for CAN FD (kvaser.com)

Kind regards

Ghofrane

Hello @Ghofrane GSOURI​, thank you for your reply.

Okay, so I've done two setups

• One setup just like your picture, but with two MCP2561 as trancievers
    • When looking at CANTx (from STM32), I only get the SOF-bit, like the pictures above
  • In the other setup just wire CANTx from STM32 to an CANRx on Analog Discovery & an oscilloscope. CANRx from STM to CANTx on Analog Discovery. I.e. no tranciever is used. Wirelength ~5 cm
    • Same as above, only SOF-bit
    • I used to get ~50% successful transmits with this setup, but as of yesterday it suddenly stopped working. My code is automatically backed up so I double checked with older versions and it's the same project

I created a new clean project only containing FDCAN. This time I tried FDCAN2, just to make sure there's nothing wrong with FDCAN1 on the board that I'm using.

I also changed the settings to give 100 kbit/s.

I've tried both FIFO queue and Buffer, same problem with both. However in the .IOC file that I'm uploading, only Buffer is used.

akuma.51
Associate II

Did you solve your problem???

Karl Yamashita
Lead II

Are you using a NUCLEO-H753ZI by chance?

If you find my answers useful, click the accept button so that way others can see the solution.