cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experience with oddly silkscreen STM32s?

RCyr.1
Associate

Got a new batch of micro's from a broker due to the chip crisis. They work and soldered down fine, memory matched, bootloader, etc. The concern about these MPU's is the silk screen and die marks are quite different.

0693W00000FAjE8QAL.png

1. We have never seen die marks on the Top Left/Bottom Right
  2. Letter above the part number is further left on past chips.
  3. The ARM logo has fatter lettering
  4. 08 code that we have never seen before
  5. ST logo is not sharp, looks different to other we have

Support has been limited due to purchasing outside of the authorized sources - but figured this was worth a shot.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/datasheet/59/f6/fa/84/20/4e/4c/59/CD00191185.pdf/files/CD00191185.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.CD00191185.pdf

4 REPLIES 4
TDK
Guru

Sure looks fake to me, especially since it's an F103. Never seen an etched pin 1 marking, or an ejection mark at 90/270 degrees. Or two ejection marks.

Might want to also check the UID as well to see if they're all unique and the lot number is the same.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

The equipment available at different plants is LIKELY to be different. Figure laser, molding, etc. Ejection points consistent with Pg 44 of Errata docs

MLT I'd guess would be a plant in Malta

The die are diffused as the same facility, the Z parts being older (2017 ?)

https://www.st.com/resource/en/errata_sheet/es0340-stm32f101xcde-and-stm32f103xcde-highdensity-device-limitations-stmicroelectronics.pdf

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

> the Z parts being older (2017 ?)

2007 (that's the year when the STM32 were oficially introduced). Rev. Y was introduced in 2010. This is also consistent with the Malta assembly site.

JW

Georgy Moshkin
Senior II

Nothing to worry about, markings differ widely for different batches of all IC manufacturers.

Disappointed with crowdfunding projects? Make a lasting, meaningful impact as a Tech Sponsor instead: Visit TechSponsor.io to Start Your Journey!