cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a bare STM32 ARM Microcontroller come with a bootloader?

Sashvat
Associate II

Hi guys, I am planning to buy a bare STM32 ARM Microcontroller and wanted to know wether it comes with a boot loader so that I can directly upload code using Keil u vision, STM32 Cube MX and a ST link V2.

If there is no boot loader shipped with the uC, what should I do? What are the steps I need to follow to be able to run code from Keil u vision? Are there any videos on youtube that you could give me to add a boot loader to this bare STM32 ARM Microcontroller of mine?

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
Piranha
Chief II

You are misunderstanding it because of Arduino nonsense... Programmers/debuggers like ST-LINK, J-Link and others work directly with a MCU regardless of any firmware, including bootloaders. That's exactly what they are made for! And the debugging of course, which Arduino doesn't have at all.

ohh thank you. So I just plug and play literally.

There is a ROM based loader supporting USB, UART, CAN, I2C, etc depending on the exact family/model.

Review AN2606 for details

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/application_note/b9/9b/16/3a/12/1e/40/0c/CD00167594.pdf/files/CD00167594.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.CD00167594.pdf

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..