Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Development Tools

munger
Associate II
Posted on June 21, 2013 at 14:49

Hi,

I am starting a new project using a STM32F051K4U6. I have not used an ARM ever before, I've mostly used 8 bit micros, lots of MSP430 work in the last few years.

I am very familiar with IAR EW, been using it for 10 years. So, of course I looked there first when deciding on what to use for the STM32 processor. The EWARM is sooo damn expensive! It's like $3400 - $7000 or something like that.

I've gotten pricing for some of the others, Tasking, Keil, I forget what else, they are less certainly but is it worth it to use the IAR as I have used it so much? My knee-jerk reaction is that it is probably *not* worth it ... I've learned plenty of development environments, I can probably learn another.

I'd appreciate any feedback regarding this.

Thanks.

Mike

#eclipse-gcc-gdb #eclipse #iar
22 REPLIES 22
frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on June 26, 2013 at 08:31

<i>That problem disappears if you update to a i7 core + 4GB RAM ...</i>

I hope you noticed the satirical undertone in my comment ...

I had been messing with Netbeans-based MPLabX for about two years. About two minutes for startup, and 20 .. 40 seconds of total unresponsiveness after shortly switching to another application. ''Slowness detected'' was all that GUI had to say about it ...

we are in the situation where someone abusing the title ''software developer'' hide their incomptence behind ''just get a faster machine''.

I agree. they often hide their missing knowledge of their tools and the build process in general.

How about using make files ?

emalund
Associate III
Posted on June 26, 2013 at 14:49

<i>How about using make files ?</i>

I would, if I could, but as a consultant you rarely have influence on tool choice.

Erik

PS as to the above ''how much is Eclipse and how much is GCC'' it would be interesting if someone had throughput comparisons beteen Keil/IAR and GCC both using makefiles.

frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on June 26, 2013 at 15:12

PS as to the above ''how much is Eclipse and how much is GCC'' it would be interesting if someone had throughput comparisons beteen Keil/IAR and GCC both using makefiles.

Some ''slightly off the mark'' numbers, as they don't involve Eclipse:

Those MPLabX IDE (NetBeans) takes about one minute to compile about 120 ... 150kB source code to about 30kB of hex code (flash consumption of a PIC18F MCU), using the XC8 compiler. Host is that said i7-core machine with 4GB RAM.

For comparision: the Ethernet/webserver demo project for the STM32F4_DIS-BB has >500k source code (estimate), produces about 35kB (Keil) and 45kB (Crossworks) of code (flash occupation), and takes less than 15 seconds to compile + link on the same machine.

Number are of course relating to a Clean + Build.

Actually, I would not expect much difference between Eclipse and a make-file when driving the same compiler.

The most annoying thing (to me) are those scanners and checkers that make the GUI so sluggish. And it gets really interesting when the Eclipse-integrated C code parser/scanner is in disagreement with the compiler ...