cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couldn't make windows 11 detect my STM32 board even after installing drivers

fabiotk
Associate II

I've installed the usb drivers downloaded here but I still can't detect my STM32F103c6 board on the Device Manager on Windows 11. When trying to debug my first program on IAR I also got the error "Fatal error: Failed the search for probes, ensure that the USB drivers are installed. Session aborted!" and as I was searching on the internet it has to do with the lack of drivers. I also installed STM32CubeProgrammer as suggested in this forum and tried to update firmware but no device is shown on the "STLinkUpgrade" screen. So my question is do I need to install anything else? What am I missing? How do I make windows 11 detect my board? Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

So, is there a ST-LINK?

fabiotk
Associate II

Yes (now there is, I wrongly assumed that the chip already comes shipped with a debugger since it has a USB cable but it doesnt). I bought a ST-LINK V2 and connected correctly the 3V,ground,SWCLK and SWDIO respectively. Now it appears on the device manager. However I'm still not able to do some live debugging. On the STM32Programmer I've got this error:

fabiotk_0-1687698015335.png

and in IAR when I click Download and Debug this error:

Sun Jun 25, 2023 09:56:06: : Fatal error: ST-Link, No MCU device found Session aborted!

fabiotk
Associate II

st-link v2 mini.jpg

Photo of the st link v2 mini

fabiotk
Associate II

st-link v2 mini back.jpg

This is an illegal clone of the ST-LINK/V2, its behaviour is unpredictable, which has also been discussed very often here in the community. I recommend you get an original ST-LINK/V2 and try again with it.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Let me start by saying that I am a professional, not a young hobbyist tinkering around.
In my armory I have the "useless" STLink V3", 3 or 4 STLink V2s and isolated STLink V2.
During the pandemic I couldn't find STLink for my students from any distributor and I must admit that I ordered 10 Chinese ones complete with identical cases.
It is ridiculous, however, that still, after years and after investments that now almost monopolize the market, ST does not opensource its programmer. It is used with its microcontrollers and there are those who have now imitated it, reproduced it and on occasions it works even better than the original, and I'm not joking, BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL! I have a very bad experience with new hardware that couldn't be programmed for unknown reasons with an original V2, while the Chinese one was working like a charm.

You would be better off focusing on serious things, such as the bugs that arise in the libraries that you give to improve and "speed up" the work and then bring entire projects into crisis.

I don't think you need the few pennies a programmer earns you...

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

@Msolinas The topic of why STMicroelectronics does not support the illegal clones has already been addressed here and does not belong in this thread. It is also not about making money with the original ST-LINK, but solely about the expectations of users who then wonder why their ST-LINK does not work (precisely because it is a clone) with software created by STMicroelectronics.

Nevertheless, thank you for your suggestions.

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Opensourcing ST-Link won't yield any profit to ST. More important, this would disturb their valuable ecosystem partners. ST's investment in OpenOCD is very appreciated.