cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarifications about STM32H7 interrupts group priorities and subpriorities

Gpeti
Senior II

The notion of group priority and subpriority is not very clear in the STM32H7 programming manual.

First the manual states that:

Gpeti_1-1710149983307.png

According to the value of the register AIRCR (0xFA050000) the splitting between group priority and subpriority for interrupts should be:

Gpeti_0-1710149774551.png

But then in the NVIC description I read:

Gpeti_2-1710150051065.png

What is "n" ? At first I thought that  it was the number of "xxx" in table 56 but I noticed that I could only write the 4 least significant bits in IPR registers , which means n=4 ?

How to set group and subpriority priorities if only 4 bits can be written in IPR registers ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
STea
ST Employee

Hello @Gpeti ,

here are some clarifications about interrupt prioritization :

• Each interrupt source has an 8-bit interrupt priority value
  • The  8 bits are divided into pre-empting group priority levels and non-preempting “sub-priority” levels
  • Sub-priority levels only have an effect if the pre-empting group priority levels are the same
  • The software programmable PRIGROUP register field of the NVIC chooses how many of the 8 bits are used for “group priority” and how many are used for “sub-priority”
  • Group priority is the Pre-empting priority
  • Lower numbers are higher priority
  • Hardware interrupt number is lowest level of prioritization
  • E.g: IRQ3 is higher priority than IRQ4 if the priority registers are programmed the same

STea_0-1710155589029.png

ST micro-controllers implements 4 bits (MSB) from the 8 bits reserved for priority so only the marked region in the screen below (bits marked in green in the red rectangle) is valid  for STM32.

BR

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
STea
ST Employee

Hello @Gpeti ,

here are some clarifications about interrupt prioritization :

• Each interrupt source has an 8-bit interrupt priority value
  • The  8 bits are divided into pre-empting group priority levels and non-preempting “sub-priority” levels
  • Sub-priority levels only have an effect if the pre-empting group priority levels are the same
  • The software programmable PRIGROUP register field of the NVIC chooses how many of the 8 bits are used for “group priority” and how many are used for “sub-priority”
  • Group priority is the Pre-empting priority
  • Lower numbers are higher priority
  • Hardware interrupt number is lowest level of prioritization
  • E.g: IRQ3 is higher priority than IRQ4 if the priority registers are programmed the same

STea_0-1710155589029.png

ST micro-controllers implements 4 bits (MSB) from the 8 bits reserved for priority so only the marked region in the screen below (bits marked in green in the red rectangle) is valid  for STM32.

BR

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Thank you, I was missing this table. Would be nice to put it in the reference manual or programming manual

It's a bit weird that the default value of PRIGROUP in AIRCR is not a valid value (even if I understood that it works fine with the 4 bits being the group priority)

Regards