cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUG: HAL_DMA_PollForTransfer: Type of CompleteLevel should be HAL_DMA_LevelCompleteTypeDef.

Morty Morty
Associate III
Posted on October 10, 2017 at 16:07

The title says it all.

#bug

Note: this post was migrated and contained many threaded conversations, some content may be missing.
17 REPLIES 17
Posted on October 13, 2017 at 18:14

As a saying goes: 'Never look a gift horse in the mouth.' In my native language, that proverb even rhymes.

That doesn't mean to bet on that horse when much depends on it.

I use Cube code & Co. sometimes as a shortcut for peripheral initialization sequences - but still crosscheck with the RM.

The generated application framework and confiscation of system ressources (like SysTick) is - IMHO - questionable to say the least.

I discarded it at the first try. Good for a beginner's prototype, but that's it.

I believe the Cube coder team has trouble to keep up with the silicon designers. Adding new parts and peripherals to the code generator is more promising than bug fixes. Especially for a free software.

For a commercial project, I would drop any dependency on Cube.

Posted on October 13, 2017 at 21:22

Actually I though it meant not to look at it's teeth, and determine it is an old gift ready for the knackers yard.

Free horse, be happy what you paid for it.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on October 14, 2017 at 18:11

Actually I though it meant not to look at it's teeth, ...

May well be. I use a dictionary for phrases I can't 'match' myself.

... and determine it is an old gift ready for the knackers yard.

Albeit this is not part of said proverb in my language, it very well applies to the Cube issue.

Posted on October 14, 2017 at 19:16

Beware of Greeks bearing gifts... - People of Troy..

Generally the purpose of pulling other people's code into a project is to reduce the defect density compared to writing the code oneself, not increasing and introducing latent defects.

Posted on October 15, 2017 at 11:39

Companies pay tens or hundreds of thousands for bucks for certified libraries or OS-es, and this still pays of.

Just to put the expectations on the free Cube software into perspective.

Posted on October 15, 2017 at 17:50

Cube and CubeMX is in no means free, if you meant it as in free beer.

Even I, the Cube hater, pay for it.

JW

Posted on October 15, 2017 at 18:45

It is a buried cost, ST has no doubt buried several $M to code and support it out of the $B it has pulled in selling the STM32 parts to you and others.

Businesses frequently see employees as buried costs, and will have them waste man-weeks on non-sense that a half competent contractor could fix in a few hours.

Posted on October 16, 2017 at 08:35

In abroader sence, you are right of course.

But many people get fooled by the non-existent upfront payment, unfortunately (it seems) not only noobs.

The $M+ buyers may be able to deflect that cost back to ST, but that just exacerbates my problem further.

In my experience, the $M+ buyers deflect the cost by ignoring Cube alltogether, and pointing to competitivly priced devices (quite often MCP).

And with a little thougt, it should be clear that auto-generated code from a free tool (freely avaliable, no direct payment) does not provide a competitive advantage ...