cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BLE on WB15CC (MB1641) limits notifications to 20 bytes

Wiliam
Associate II

Dear friends, good evening.

I am facing the following problem with my application using BLE with the MB1641 (STM32WB15CC):

We had an app that worked with a device using another microcontroller (Nordic). We are adapting this device to an STM32 platform. This existing app reads the message received via Bluetooth. However, it reads the notification, not the full message.

I developed my application based on the ST example (BLE_p2pServer). However, the notification arrives in the app with 20 bytes, and we are unable to access the full buffer (although it is sent). When we use the Nordic application used for testing (nRF Connect), we see the notification with 20 bytes, and when we click on the down arrow (read), we can access the full buffer (62 bytes). In other words, the content can be sent, but we need it to be transmitted in the notification if possible.

Is there a way to change the size of the notification (let's see, the notification, not the payload itself) or is it a feature of the BLE-SIG stack implementation to transmit notifications up to 20 bytes?

We would not like to change the app, only as a last resort if necessary, to avoid costs, as the app was developed by another company.

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-22 at 11.42.50.jpeg

This screen shows the notification received by Nordic MCU-based devices (complete).

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-22 at 08.45.04.jpeg

This screen shows the Nordic app log. At 08:43:22 the notification was recorded (20 bytes). At 08:43:51 the message is recorded after clicking the down arrow (read with 62 bytes).

Could you help me with this question, please?

Grateful for the attention,

Wiliam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @Wiliam,

Is there a way to change the size of the notification (let's see, the notification, not the payload itself) or is it a feature of the BLE-SIG stack implementation to transmit notifications up to 20 bytes?

I advise you to have a look at the AN5289, on how to maximize data throughput.

ImenD_1-1700762715039.png

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @Wiliam,

I advise you to have a look at the AN5289, on how to maximize data throughput.

ImenD_1-1700762715039.png

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Wiliam
Associate II

Dear Imen.D,

I followed the paths in the document that they indicated to me and the problem was resolved. We are still in preliminary tests, but the fact is that so far everything is wonderful! I can't describe how important your help is!

I offer you five stars!
Thank you very much for your support!
Wiliam

Imen.D
ST Employee

Hi @Wiliam , Glad to know that the issue is solved. 

You are welcome 😊 

Imen

Thanks
Imen