cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bare metal STM32F767 proper powering

hashtala
Associate II

Hello

This is my first time soldering a MCU on a custom PCB.

As you know, STM32f767 is a very complicated chip and requires Vdd and Vss on many pins. Datasheet also states that capacitors are mandatory on each Vdd or Vref+. However Vref and Vdd (marked on figure) are neighbors and I was wondering if I can use one capacitor for both of them.

Could you also tell me if this is a proper way of placing capacitors ? Max distance from Vdd line and cap is 8mm.

As you can see, there is only one track and its obviously Vdd line.

Of course I am not done with placing all caps and tracking Vdds to pins. I first need to know if this kind of principle is going to work

0693W000000Wm87QAC.png

0693W000000Wm82QAC.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

Your images show up.

You will find many different opinions on how to place decoupling caps. In general, the closer the better.

Using the same cap for VREF+/VDDA seems fine, unless you want to really optimize ADC noise performance.

Take a look at ST's own layouts to see how they do things. Here's an example from a Nucleo board so you can see how far the decoupling caps are. Some boards out there have decoupling caps way farther away than this--maybe 1cm or so, and yet the board works fine. It really depends how you're using things.

0693W000000WmEjQAK.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
hashtala
Associate II

I tried to add images but I guess I do not have permissions yet

TDK
Guru

Your images show up.

You will find many different opinions on how to place decoupling caps. In general, the closer the better.

Using the same cap for VREF+/VDDA seems fine, unless you want to really optimize ADC noise performance.

Take a look at ST's own layouts to see how they do things. Here's an example from a Nucleo board so you can see how far the decoupling caps are. Some boards out there have decoupling caps way farther away than this--maybe 1cm or so, and yet the board works fine. It really depends how you're using things.

0693W000000WmEjQAK.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Piranha
Chief II

It should be noted that the shown physical layout of PCB traces is pretty wrong!

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/74509/how-to-place-decoupling-capacitor-in-four-layer-pcb

thanks for letting me know that.

However, since I am using only single layer and rails are very thick and rather straight, I dont think it will have that much inductance and resistance.

For time being. I will go with this layout. However, if it does not work I will try to do what was suggested. I will post feedback