cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Serial numbering to differentiate the various devices

lanotted
Associate II

Hello to everyone,

I am developing an indoor sensor system using a ST microcontroller. The hardware used includes a battery power supply, an analog sensor and a radio transmission part. Assuming that I produce more pieces of the sensor, I would like to differentiate them from each other, giving them a custom "serial number". I would also like to store this serial number, in a "reserved" memory area and this number is automatically incremented from one device to another.

Someone can help me with an example or a different solution. Unfortunately ST don't provide an automatic system in the cubeprogrammer to solve this issue .

6 REPLIES 6
TDK
Guru

This isn't something you will find out of the box functionality for.

Most (all?) have a 96-bit unique ID that you can use as an identifier for traceability. Otherwise, you'll need to write your own solution. Some chips have OTP bytes, some chips have EEPROM, others you'll need to store it in FLASH.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
lanotted
Associate II
An old version of cubeprogrammer, it had automatic serial numbering, but then it disappeared. I thought there was something similar. We accept ideas since my microcontroller has an integrated SRAM. 

Ozone
Lead

Many of the companies I worked with used or use post-processing tools to modify the Hex/S19 file.

This could be applied after a product test, thus you could avoid wasting IDs because of manufacturing failures.

This had been the case e.g. for MAC addresses.

Do you remember the name of these tools ? thank you for your replyDo you remember the name of these tools ? thank you for your reply

Ggvfd.2
Associate II

This is just looking unbelievable I mean how's that possible if you are facing serial numbering issue you can have to contact with any expert of the field here.

This is usually something the engineer responsible for coding the test/serialization stations writes themselves​. The BIN or HEX files are of minimal complexity. Files with signing and other integrity methods are more complicated but should be well within the scope of the SW development team or singular engineer.

C​ommercial programming tool vendors like Segger have solutions where you pay to apply their expertise.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..