cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Ever Get The STM32F4 Virtual COM Port Working w/Windows 10?

Terence D
Senior
Posted on October 27, 2017 at 06:07

I see multiple people having this problem but not seen an answer why or a solution: The Virtual COM Port driver (1.4) is not working for Windows 10 users. I have the same problem. I download the Driver from:

http://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stm32-utilities.html?querycriteria=productId=LN1729

I run the installation process and also note in the contained readme.txt it says:

How to use

1- Uninstall previous versions (Start-> Settings-> Control Panel-> Add or remove programs)

2- Run your ''VCP_V1.4.0_Setup.exe''

3- Go to Your installation directory - Example, C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\Software\Virtual comport driver

4- Go to Your OS version directory ([Win7] or [Win8])

+ Then :

- Double click on dpinst_xexe if you are running a 32-bits OS version

- Double click on dpinst_amdexe if you are running a 64-bits OS version

+ Follow the instructions.

Since I have 64 bit Windows 10 I rundpinst_amdexe. The installation appears to work, but no ''ST Microelectronics'' COM port shows up in my device manager, only COM1:

0690X00000608ldQAA.png

I am quite certain COM1 is in no way related to my STM32F411 board. Anyone know how to get this to work?

Note: this post was migrated and contained many threaded conversations, some content may be missing.
15 REPLIES 15

Thanks for the suggestion Max. I posted a question about this on your website.

EDIT - I used the STM32102 driver that you recommended and got a VCP connection https://imgur.com/a/Zxiqvui thanks. Thing is, once I flash my board with another program where I want to use a USB VCP connection, I will loss this VCP. What am I missing please and I apologise for my very low skill level but I want to learn ��

andreaspiezia9
Associate III

Hi,

the VCP cannot be used:

Starting from Windows® 10, the STSW-STM32102 driver is no more adequate and the usage of the native inbox driver is recommended.

But what is native inbox driver?

This isn't strictly true. STSW-STM32102 did work for me, on Windows 10 Pro, in January 2019.

Sometimes, when all of the other drivers don't work, the older ones somehow do and you just have to suck it up and use them.

Release notes are one thing, actually testing the drivers out is another.

Hmm. Not sure about that, I can only speak to the STM32L476 VCP implementation as working.

Could be a difference somewhere in the STM32CubeMX drivers, I know I had to fiddle around with mine a little at one point to increase the TX / RX buffers, but that was more due to data dropping out. Enumeration of the device in Windows was fine once I'd installed those drivers.

Not sure if they are using different USB vendor id:product id numbers for the different drivers, or if they all use the same ones across different firmware examples.

Thanks for the info Max ��

pedro1
Associate II

Yes as stated above this is exactly my experience too. Sometimes things are not supposed to work but they do. Give it a try - you have nothing to lose @andreaspiezia9 ��