cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32L432 can not establish communication with PD controller

Habonroof
Associate

Brief:
Want to use STM32L432 MCU and FUSB302B PD controller asking voltage higher then 5V.

Question:
Where am I set wrong of the PD controller?
Is there anything else I need to consider when asking the PD source?

Hi, I'm working on a project for digital auxliary power in card size.
The puropse is using Type-C connector connect to any source, have four output voltage can be choose, they are 3.3V / 5V / 12V and 24V.

I'm using power delivery (PD) for asking voltage higher then 5V for more output wattage.
Althought I had completed the power stage for 5V input, now I want to write PD firmware to asking higher voltage.

The MCU I used is STM32F432KC, PD controller I used is ONSemi FUSB302B.
I got stuck when I want to receive power data object (PDO) from PD source, like the wall adapter.

Here is register map of FUSB302B:

FUSB302B_register_map.jpg

And here is my register setup after FUSB302B_start_CC_communication():

Screenshot 2023-10-01 at 4.39.30 PM.png

The function is doing following things:

FUSB302B_start_CC_communication:

/* @brief    start PD communication on CC pin
 * @ param    I2C_HandleTypeDef    *hi2c    specific i2c HAL driver
 * @ param    FUSB302B_t            *pfusb    fusb object pointer
 * [USER=190411]@Return[/USER]    FUSB302B_status_t    status     FUSB302 status
 */
FUSB302B_status_t FUSB302B_start_CC_communication(I2C_HandleTypeDef* hi2c, FUSB302B_t* pfusb){
    FUSB302B_status_t status;
    // update register data
    FUSB302B_read_all(hi2c, pfusb);

switch(pfusb->cc_pin){
    case CC_NONE:
        return FUSB302B_OK;
        break;

case CC_PIN1:
        // connect CC1 pin to DAC
        status = FUSB302B_write_reg(hi2c, pfusb, Reg_Switches0, (pfusb->reg.switches0 & ~FUSB302B_Switches0_MEAS_CC_MASK) \
                | FUSB302B_Switches0_MEAS_CC1);
        // connect CC1 to BMC decoder
        status &= FUSB302B_write_reg(hi2c, pfusb, Reg_Switches1, (pfusb->reg.switches1 & ~FUSB302B_Switches1_TXCC_MASK) | FUSB302B_Switches1_TXCC1);
        break;

case CC_PIN2:
        // connect CC1 pin to DAC
        status = FUSB302B_write_reg(hi2c, pfusb, Reg_Switches0, (pfusb->reg.switches0 & ~FUSB302B_Switches0_MEAS_CC_MASK) \
                | FUSB302B_Switches0_MEAS_CC2 );
        // connect CC1 to BMC decoder
        status &= FUSB302B_write_reg(hi2c, pfusb, Reg_Switches1, (pfusb->reg.switches1 & ~FUSB302B_Switches1_TXCC_MASK) | FUSB302B_Switches1_TXCC2);
        break;
    default:
        break;
    }
    // reset PD logic
//    status &= FUSB302B_write_reg(hi2c, pfusb, Reg_Reset, (pfusb->reg.reset & ~FUSB302B_Reset_Reserved_MASK) | FUSB302B_Reset_PD_RESET);
    FUSB302B_read_all(hi2c, pfusb);
    if (status != FUSB302B_OK)
        return FUSB302B_ERROR;
    else
        return FUSB302B_OK;
}

I think after I execute FUSB302B_start_CC_communication, bit4 of status1 (RX FIFO Full) should be set because the source should transmit some data and PD controller received it, but after I execute it many times, the bit always stay 0.

The question is:
Where am I set wrong of the PD controller?
Is there anything else I need to consider when asking the PD source?
If the code have anything to improve, please fele free to give me advice!

I reference the following materials for developmenting:

1. https://hackaday.com/2023/02/22/all-about-usb-c-replying-low-level-pd/ -> I reference the setup from this.
  2. https://github.com/tschiemer/usbc-pd-fusb302-d -> I reference the setup sequence and data structure.
  3. https://www.usb.org/document-library/usb-power-delivery -> USB PD2.0 spec for message handling, even thought I can not received any message...

Something I guess may cause the problem is the speed of MCU is not fast enought, power converter IRQ using most of resource of CPU.
I measure the main loop period is around 1.5 second (by measureing LED5), and PD protocol defined the sink device should send RDO(request data object) to source in 500mS after Good_CRC been send.
For bypass the resource issue, I try decrease the interrupt frequency from 200kHz to 100kHz, but it still the same.
Also I try to disable AUTO_CRC and it has no effect either.

Here is my project source code and PCB design for reference:
https://github.com/HabonRoof/PD-AuxPower-Card
Thanks for the reading.

0 REPLIES 0