cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Motor Control workbench with any 3'rd party COM ports or only with STLink VCOM?

eashwar392
Associate II

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am using STSPIN32F0A IC for BLDC motor control for sensorless application. Since we are using Motor workbench to derive motor profile and would like to use the CONTROL MONITOR software to control the motor operation. But I have NUCLEO-L152RE board, which is not in the provided list of control board I can't use STLink VCOM port.

So, I planned to program IC using Keil ulink2 kit and use any third part USB to UART COM port bridge IC to control the motor operation.

Will Motor control workbench accept COM ports other than STLINK VCOM?

Also why can't I use NUCLEO-L152RE board? what is the difference b/w L152RE and other boards?

Regards,

A Eashwar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LHOUE
ST Employee

Dear eashwar392.

If you want to used the VCP over STLINK of your NUCLEO-L152RE :

• connect UART of your STSPIN32F0A to the connector CN3 of your NUCLEO-L152RE (take care of TX/RX)
  • connect any GND pin of the NUCLEO-L152RE(STLINK part) to any STSPIN32F0A  GND pin
  • unsolder SB13 and SB14 on your  NUCLEO-L152RE ( or completely detach the STLINK part from the  NUCLEO-L152RE by breaking the PCB)

BRs

If you agree with my answer, please accept it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Laurent Ca...
Lead II

Dear eashwar392

We will try to answer to your questions ASAP.

Just a remark: it is rather better to have only one issue or question by post.

Best regards

Laurent C.

LHOUE
ST Employee

Dear eashwar392.

Of course Motor control workbench accept COM ports other than STLINK VCOM (maybe some exotic IC can bring some problem).

But If you have NUCLEO-L152RE you have already STLINK VCOM available and you can use it to control your STSPIN32F0A . You just have to connect UART (use CN3 and unsold SB14/13) ) and GND to your STSPIN32F0A board.

Best Regards

If you agree with my answer, please accept it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

Dear Lhoue,

Thank you for your kind reply. What will be jumper setting for using STlink present in NUCLEO-L152RE as programmer and debugger for STSPIN32F0A? Kindly provide details on connections. Since I can avoid using Keil Unlink 2 debugger.

Regards,

A Eashwar

Dear eashwar392

We are mainly providing support for all the boards listed in the MCSDK documentation because it is the only easy way to have fully compatible all the tools and code examples dedicated to standard STM32 motor control.

Then we are sorry that NUCLEO-L152RE is not, but you can develop your own SW to do it.

Regarding boards specific configurations, I suggest to you either to refer to the board documentation or to post a message in the main STM32 MCUs forum (https://community.st.com/s/topic/0TO0X000000BSqSWAW).

Best regards

Laurent C.

LHOUE
ST Employee

Dear eashwar392.

If you want to used the VCP over STLINK of your NUCLEO-L152RE :

• connect UART of your STSPIN32F0A to the connector CN3 of your NUCLEO-L152RE (take care of TX/RX)
  • connect any GND pin of the NUCLEO-L152RE(STLINK part) to any STSPIN32F0A  GND pin
  • unsolder SB13 and SB14 on your  NUCLEO-L152RE ( or completely detach the STLINK part from the  NUCLEO-L152RE by breaking the PCB)

BRs

Laurent Ca...
Lead II

The question has been set only to the "STM32 Motor Control" topic (the question is only about the STM32 MC SDK). 

Best regards